Forum under maintenance. Please contact us at customer_service@beeverycreative.com

[COMMUNITY] Filament drying container

The versatility of an entry-level 3D printer, engineered to last.
By BEEVERYCREATIVE and Hello 3D Printing World
MrDoom
Re: [COMMUNITY] Filament drying container

Post by MrDoom » 07 Jun 2017, 15:51

Hello GVeyron, I would agree with you if it was meant for PLA, but for nylon filaments this is a must as it absorbs moisture really fast leading to poor quality prints, I'm about to build one for myself :)

PeterW

Post by PeterW » 21 Aug 2017, 11:35

I do quite a lot of printing in nylon ( Alloy 910 ) and have found a food dehydrator makes an ideal filament dryer for around £25.
I don't dry the whole reel as it seems to manage to absorb moisture despite the silica gel so I just take off say about 20 meters at a time, and dry it at 70 c for an hour before printing.
You can keep the remainder for a few days sealed in polythene with silica gel but much more than that and it needs re-drying.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Level-Food- ... SwLN5WimMi

MrDoom

Post by MrDoom » 21 Aug 2017, 14:15

Quite and interesting solution, using a food dehidrator, have you tried it at lower temperature with old filament like some PLA remains you might have?

PeterW

Post by PeterW » 21 Aug 2017, 19:46

I have really only had a problem with Nylon and water soluble HIGH-T-LAY so have only used it for them.
I mainly use the 3D printer for small combat robots and PLA is a bit weak and brittle for them so I rarely us it.
I find Nylon (Alloy 910), Ploycarb (PC Max) and sometimes ABS (High Impact Smartfil) to be the best materials to try and resist Titanium spinning at 16000 rpm. :roll:

MrDoom

Post by MrDoom » 22 Aug 2017, 17:01

Hahaha I never used the 3d printer for that kind of use, but yes I think to handle such and aggressive thing PLA is just too weak, unless anealed, apparently it becomes really strong although it may still be a little to brittle for you use :P

I mostly print parts to repair other machines, adapters, boxes, and home improvement things so I haven't tried PC, how does the hBp behave with it?