Forum under maintenance. Please contact us at customer_service@beeverycreative.com

[INFO] What to do if your filament gets stuck or jammed

The versatility of an entry-level 3D printer, engineered to last.
By BEEVERYCREATIVE and Hello 3D Printing World
endeffect
[INFO] What to do if your filament gets stuck or jammed

Post by endeffect » 24 Sep 2015, 22:50

Hi

Some people ask what to do in case of filament stucking.
If it happen to you, you can print this little filament filter:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:492067

Add a little sponge on it, with some Colza Oil ( not too much, otherwise the exedent oil will flow on your hot end, and blacken this one, this will have the effect of weakening the cooling performance of it )

Like this :

and you'll have fun to clean it :mrgreen:

Hope this post can help some people.

paulocaveboy

Re: What to do if you filament are stuck or block

Post by paulocaveboy » 29 Sep 2015, 21:59

ive tried this tonight but with not much success. put little oil, then lots, pre extrude before print and adjust tension on filament as precisely as i can until the idler is turning. when i come to print it extrudes faitly inconsistently.

currently trying without the fans on to see if its cooling too quick.

Filipe

Post by Filipe » 30 Sep 2015, 10:54

paulocaveboy

What filament are you using?

PLA? ABS? etc. And brand, because they differ in minor details, and require different settings to work well.

paulocaveboy

Post by paulocaveboy » 30 Sep 2015, 16:08

hi filipe

ive tried colourfabb PLA and Zortrax ABS

EmanuelDFerreira

Post by EmanuelDFerreira » 02 Oct 2015, 10:32

Theres a very good and cheap whay to unclogh the nozzle, and the magical answer is ....

Electric guitar strings

Electric guitar strings are flexible metal wires, you can find them with 0.38mm of diameter, since the nozzle its 0.4mm its perfect to ise it to unclogh them.

Here is how you do it:

Warm the nozzle to +10ºc of the normal print extrusion
Raize the extruder
Insert the metal guitar string prefeblably throw the bottom part is possible and push out the clogh, if the clogh is in the tip of the extruder insert it on top.
Do some up and down movements with the cable passing throw the extruder so that the texture os the string scratch out any excess material stuck inside the nozzle.

I've done this process several times and it works great and I never ruinned any hotend even with more delicate ones. this can be done with cloghs of any material.

Note - Its normal that when your clogh goes out, it looks like a black material, be carefull not to get your hand in front of the hotend and get hit by it, its a painfull experience. :lol:

DNeves

Post by DNeves » 09 Oct 2015, 11:45

Emanuel D Ferreira, that's actually a great tip! :D thanks for sharing.

Andre_A
BEEVERYCREATIVE

Post by Andre_A » 09 Oct 2015, 12:55

Nice tip !!
There are some people who use needles or acupuncture needles, but you have to be very careful to not break the needle inside the nozzle.

Cheers,
Andre
BEEVERYCREATIVE
Research and Development Team

Matteo123

Re: [INFO] What to do if your filament gets stuck or jammed

Post by Matteo123 » 06 Feb 2017, 23:16

Hello!

I disassemble and it with a bunsen or a burner for make caramel i heat until it become red. While doing i keep the bigger hole watching floor so dirts or other things can fall out.

Pay much attention in doing this it's soo dangerous

This require removing the nozzle before. When you try to mount on hot end again it may be little difficult so heat the hot end with bunsen and keep the nozzle fresh and it will enter easily

Probably the one with guitar string is the best because doesn't require to remove nozzle and is more safe

Bye

RoyRoc

Re: [INFO] What to do if your filament gets stuck or jammed

Post by RoyRoc » 08 May 2018, 14:15

I actually tried what Matteo suggests and it did wonders. It really is dangerous though so be careful. Can't stress this enough. But it did no damage to my printer parts and it solved the issue.