[FIXED] X Stepper Driver NOK - EC51

This new DIY 3D printer kit is a result of a vast market research and hours of development and engineering. It is an open source project, which means this is a versatile product that you can build upon and make it your own.
gniiiiiiiiiii

[FIXED] X Stepper Driver NOK - EC51

Post by gniiiiiiiiiii » 08 Dec 2019, 21:00

Hi,

Printer received last Thursday, FW updated on Saturday, first self test and... X Stepper Driver NOK.

So I have swapped 2 drivers (the 1st from the top for X motor and the last for E1) but the problem remains.

Is there any troubleshooting I can make before asking fo help from Customer Support (like replacement part)?

Thnak you in advance.
Last edited by gniiiiiiiiiii on 18 Feb 2020, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.

gniiiiiiiiiii

Re: X Stepper Driver NOK - EC51

Post by gniiiiiiiiiii » 09 Dec 2019, 10:20

I've forgotten to mention that I have swapped the X and Y motors too, and the problem didn't moved.

gniiiiiiiiiii

Post by gniiiiiiiiiii » 09 Dec 2019, 14:48

According to this post:
DomingosRodrigues wrote:
27 May 2019, 10:06
Hello Thelaunster ,

The EC51 error just means a stepper driver is off, next to the error there should be a message saying which stepper driver is NOK, if the error is always on the same stepper driver even after replacing the E1 stepper for the E2 stepper then it appears the communication board/cables are to blame for the problem. Posting a images of what appears on screen during the error when using the stepper in the normal order and after replacing one will help on the diagnosis

Most likely the problem is caused by a faulty stepper driver chip that we will replaced if defective, please contact customer_service@beeverycreative.com

Best regards :)
I will test the cable this evening, or swap the II and III flat grey cable for crosschecking.

DomingosRodrigues

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 10 Dec 2019, 10:50

Hello Gnii,

Please try disconnecting both the grey cables and the white communication board on top of the stepper drivers, if one of the pins is misaligned it will cause a problem communicating with the stepper drivers causing the problem you see.

Best regards

gniiiiiiiiiii

Post by gniiiiiiiiiii » 10 Dec 2019, 11:30

Hello Domingo,

It has already been done with no success.
Fully removed the mainboard, re-check carefully every connection, especially all the drivers and the white communication board.

About the grey cables: they have 2x5 female connectors.
The one marked as III is connected to AUX3 port which has only 2x4 pins. There is no clear indication about this connection; but physically it seems we have no other choice than the 2x4 holes from the top:

o o - -
o o - -
o o - -
o o - -
o o

Can you please confirm following points:
  • Only uppermost 2x4 on grey cable are plugged onto Aux3 port?
  • II cable has the red line on top side, and III cable has red line on bottom side?
Thank you in advance.

DomingosRodrigues

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 10 Dec 2019, 18:01

Hello Gniii,

The Aux3 should be connected like you shown, the two bottom pins aren't connected.

It should have a red stripe on top in all 4 terminations of the gray flat cables.

The Aux3 cable connects at the bottom of the board and at the top of the communication board. Also note the teeth(lock?) the cables have should all be facing left when facing the motherboard head on.

Most likely there is a problem with your wiring, try making sure everything is as mentioned above, if it still does not work reverse 2 and 3 cables directions, and if that doesn't work use cable 2 in the place of cable 3 and vice versa. If neither of these work most likely there has been a damage to the motherboard pin that communicates with the X stepper driver.

Just a few other question to help debug the issue, after trying different wire configurations is it only the X driver that shows the error?
Can you move it using "Maintenance">"Move axis">"X axis" ?

Edit: I just reread this entire post and I have an important doubt have you tried changing for example the X stepper driver (first one on the top) for any other stepper driver? Not the motors, the small board with heat sinks below the cooling channel and the white communication board.

Best regards
Domingos Rodrigues

gniiiiiiiiiii

Post by gniiiiiiiiiii » 10 Dec 2019, 20:51

Dear Domingo,

I surely have fooled myself when swapping the drivers.

After pulling out all drivers one more time and trying to figure out which pin on communication pcb is linked to each driver, I've carefully installed back each driver. I saw then that on the last driver (fifth from the top), one pin was slightly misaligned.

Once this pin put back in place (aligned with other pins), driver has been re-installed then the Self-test was executed again.

Now error has moved to E2 instead of X.

So I think the driver is out of order.

Please note that I'm not able to go further than Self-test wizard; maybe because one error stills.
I have received my printer last week, this problem exists since 1st boot.
Last edited by gniiiiiiiiiii on 11 Dec 2019, 10:15, edited 1 time in total.

gniiiiiiiiiii

Post by gniiiiiiiiiii » 10 Dec 2019, 21:43

Huho, are 2 drivers deads, now?

DomingosRodrigues

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 11 Dec 2019, 13:44

Hello Gnii,

That does not look normal, but those are sensitive components so a static discharge when handling them can damage them.
Please contact customer_service@beeverycreative.com and send lots of pictures of you connections and stepper driver position, also describe the situation so they can validate what might be happening.

Best regards

gniiiiiiiiiii

Post by gniiiiiiiiiii » 11 Dec 2019, 14:56

Dear Domingo,

I've already sent an email including a link to this post some days ago, but no reply yet.
I'll try again with photos and full story, thank you for advice.

About flat grey cable: the III cable was "upside down" from factory. I mean the red line was in the opposite direction compared to the II cable.
I don't know if there is a relation.

Best regards.