help reducing warp

BEETHEFIRST is a professional, easy to use and portable 3D printer
peet

help reducing warp

Postby peet » 19 Apr 2016, 19:23

I'm new to 3D printing and so far very much enjoying my new BEETHEFIRST.

When printing larger objects howeverI get some warp, which makes it hart putting printed pieces together. In one extreme case, it even pulled the bluetape up from the platform.

So I am asking for hints to reduce the warp. It would be great, if you could give some offical comment, which of the below points - most of which acutally help.
  • Does layer strength have any influence?
  • Does less fill mean less warp?
  • Does using raft help?
  • Does it help to increase the room temperature around the printer?
  • What is the influence of the filament type?
  • Does it help to add some type of glue to the bluetape?
  • Are there any stronger types of bluetape?
  • Any other hints?

Thanks allot, any help is apreciated! :)

Andre_A
BEEVERYCREATIVE

Re: help reducing warp

Postby Andre_A » 21 Apr 2016, 17:16

Hi peet :)

there are a few things you can do to reduce warping:
  1. The thinner the layer, the better will be the adhesion;
  2. The fill doesn't have any influence unless on the first layer, you have to make sure the first layers are always 100% fill;
  3. Using RAFT is a good option but notice that it may be dificult to remove the raft from the object (depending of the type of object and the settings of the raft);
  4. Increasing the room temperature isn't a good idea because you can find extruding issues above 25ºC;
  5. Different types of filament always have different behaviours, that is the reason why you have different printing profiles in the BEESOFT;
  6. You shouldn't use glue in the blue tape but you can find other solutions on the market, like "Buildtak";
  7. One more solution is using/not using the blower or "cool fan", you can check that in CURA and use the changed "gcode" in BEESOFT. Here you can see how to use cura with the BEESOFT: https://beeverycreative.com/6-simple-st ... d-printer/

I hope this will help you ;)
BEEVERYCREATIVE
Research and Development Team

HALFORD

Postby HALFORD » 21 Apr 2016, 20:36

Can you post photo/image of your print.
The shape itself maybe a problem and you may need to ADD extra support pads to help minmise warping.

peet

Postby peet » 27 Apr 2016, 07:00

Hello There,

thanks allot for the replies and the hints.

Here is an example where I experienced quite notable warp:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1523242

I printed it with high resolution (0,1 mm), 5% desity, no raft and blanc gris filament.

The model stuck to the blue tape, but the blue tape was lifted up at the corners, that happed after the model was about 1 cm high.

Again, any suggestions are very much welcome :-)

DNeves

Postby DNeves » 28 Apr 2016, 11:35

Hi peet!

Well I can have a couple of advice for you:

1. When you put the blue tape in the surface, make sure that it stick very well to the plate. Make some pressure on it;
2. Try to use the "brim" feature to create a removable layer that will increase the adherence area;
3. By density you mean infill right? (I don't use Beesoft) try to increase this value to increase the mechanical resistance of inner tensile strength of the printed part.

Hope it helps :)

Andre_A
BEEVERYCREATIVE

Postby Andre_A » 26 Jun 2016, 18:42

Hi peet,
Did this tips helped you with your prints?
BEEVERYCREATIVE
Research and Development Team

peet

Postby peet » 29 Oct 2016, 21:41

Hello everyone,

sorry for taking so long to reply and thank you very much for your advise.

I have indeed reduced the warp problems, by trying different things. (Though I still experience warp if I print very large thick objects directly on the printingbed.

Here is what I think(!) helped most:
  • Cleaning the printing bed with a glass cleaner before attaching the bluetape on it, that way it does not get lifted up from the bed so easily
  • putting the printer in a room where there is less air circulation
  • even after lots of experimenting, I am actually not quite sure, if thinner or thicker layers lead to less warp :-)

If I make further discoveries, I will report them here.

peet

Postby peet » 03 Jan 2018, 07:23

Here is an update as promised:

I now tried adding "printafix" spray https://www.3djake.de/aprintapro/printafix-basic on top of the blue tape. With that i got the very best results so far printing even large objects. With this the adhesion is so good, its often very hard to remove objects from the printing bed, usually I have to reapply the blue tape after such a print as it gets torn apart when removing the object. I would say using a spray like this is really only nessesary when printing objects with a large bottom surface area.

MrDoom

Postby MrDoom » 09 Jan 2018, 14:06

Hello peet,

have you tried cleaning the blue tape with isopropilic (etilic works as well just not as good) alcohol before printing? for me it has a similar effect as adding additional adhesion in spray or other form. I think it works by removing any contaminants on the suface of the tape as well as pushing some of the glue from the bottom of the tape to the top helping adhesion :)

Return to “BEETHEFIRST”