Auto-leveling sensor placement

This new DIY 3D printer kit is a result of a vast market research and hours of development and engineering. It is an open source project, which means this is a versatile product that you can build upon and make it your own.
TracyJonSargeant

Auto-leveling sensor placement

Post by TracyJonSargeant » 14 Apr 2019, 22:45

I cannot seem to find a close-up picture of the leveling sensor attached to the bottom of the extruder mount. I would expect the sensor arm to be able to rotate down so the sensor tip can locate the distance from the bed surface. Maybe I am missing something but this does not look right to me. Has anyone else had this issue?
Attachments
20190414_164916.jpg
20190414_164916.jpg (3.2 MiB) Viewed 1007 times

DomingosRodrigues

Re: Auto-leveling sensor placement

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 14 Apr 2019, 23:21

Hello TracyJonSargeant,

looking at your picture everything appears as it should be. The servomotor that is conected to the arm containing the microswitch will rotate will rotate, allowing the Microswitch to measure the height at each spot.

Do not rotate the arm by hand as that is very likely to break the servomotor rendering the auto calibration module inoperable.

Ensure you have the auto calibration module connected as shown in the manual, then it should automatically deploy once necessary :)

Best regards
Domingos Rodrigues

TracyJonSargeant

Post by TracyJonSargeant » 16 Apr 2019, 01:57

Thanks for your reply. I think the issue is with the Z stepper motors since they do not seem to move the Z-axis at all. My guess is that either the stepper motors are DOA or the wiring harness is bad since they splice the four wires together from each Z-axis stepper motor to plug into one port on the motherboard. It should have occurred to me when the Z-axis never moved during the setup wizard. I email customer service and hope to get a prompt replacement of the defective parts. I have already tried to test the Z-axis movement from the interface and they do not move. The X and Y-axis move but not the Z.

DomingosRodrigues

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 16 Apr 2019, 15:19

Hello TracyJonSargeant,

If that is the case have you ensured your Z axis is correcty assembled and lubrified? If só try connecting the Z motors to the Y axis output and try to move them that way through the LCD, if they move, most likely your Z axis stepper driver has a communication problem (Removing and placing the connection board on top of the stepper drivers usually solves thes issue) or has a defect and needs replacement.

What version of firmware are you running? The lastest version has better tests on the stepper drivers and can help you find the source of the problem faster.

Best regards