Diagnostic leads please?

The versatility of an entry-level 3D printer, engineered to last.
By BEEVERYCREATIVE and Hello 3D Printing World
Ezmyrelda

Diagnostic leads please?

Post by Ezmyrelda » 14 Jul 2017, 21:17

Hello

After a very long time getting the build basically finished and ready to tune I ran into a major hurdle. I have very little experience with electrical beyond plugging a motherboard into a power supply etc.. So when I plugged everything in and turned it on.. nothing happened.. Months went by, we sought out local people that had experience with this sort of thing.

Finally! We found a very kind person willing to lend their time and their expertise.. Long story short.. The switch was bad.. Or.. There is a wiring problem with the switch that necessitated bypassing it.. Anyhow.. After such a long time of worrying about something I thought might be drastic.. I am now at a point I feel I can handle the rest of any issues that might come up.

The first issue I have is

No contrast on the LCD. I believe this is the issue.. However again.. my experience here is limited.. Is there a "blind manual instruction list" that I could use to walk through the menu without the aid of the LCD or could it perhaps be something else?

I had thought that I might need to install some software on the device, but if I twist the dial and click the button in different menu points I get a chirp leading me to believe that it is doing something.. I just can't see it..

The second issue I have.. Though it might not be an issue.. It's just something I don't know the normal behaviour of.

The motherboard fans do not start when powered on.

Do these fans only kick in when they are required to or have I miswired this part of the printer? All other fans work as expected.

Thank you to anybody that can give me some leads on tracking these issues down. I appreciate it greatly.

Geoffrey Borny

Re: Diagnostic leads please?

Post by Geoffrey Borny » 15 Jul 2017, 02:11

For your first problem there is an potentiometer on the back of the LCD screen, just turn the potentiometer to the left or right I don't know exactly but the contrast on the screen will change.

Your second problem is caused by a miss wiring, just connect the red and black wires to the same place as where the wires off the powersuply are connected. Now when you turn on the printer the fans will turn.

Hope your problems will now be solved.

Ezmyrelda

Post by Ezmyrelda » 15 Jul 2017, 02:35

OMGosh! Thank you so much! I don't know why I didn't stare down the backside of the LCD but you were spot on.. I was figuring it would be one of the larger plastic potentiometers which is why I think I didn't notice it at first.

I will check my materials and see where I miswired the motherboard fans.. You have been an amazing help.

From the bottom of my heart, I appreciate it soo much!

MrDoom

Post by MrDoom » 18 Jul 2017, 11:13

Happy to know someone else is printing :D Once you have some print be sure to post some pictures here :P