[COMMUNITY] Print quality test

The versatility of an entry-level 3D printer, engineered to last.
By BEEVERYCREATIVE and Hello 3D Printing World
replicator

[COMMUNITY] Print quality test

Post by replicator » 26 Sep 2015, 00:14

It seems like some of us including myself have received some damaged parts that may effect print quality. I was wondering if we could agree a test print that would demonstrate how well or badly our printer is behaving so we can see if it's worth investigating if any of the parts are faulty or badly adjusted.

We'd need to keep the basic settings the same especially the print speed and layer height. Might be worth mentioning any fringe things like was the printer on a really solid well levelled table. We could then post some images here and check to see how well everything is working.

HALFORD

Re: Print quality test

Post by HALFORD » 26 Sep 2015, 13:40

Totally agree, but would start with a functional build test to check the basics of the mechanical and electrical system before attempting any printing.
I have spent 3 weeks chasing problems from day 1 only to discover a major fault in the controller board.
It's no good printing anything if the mechanics are not right.
Could BVC design a standard dry run test to include; Function test XYZ axes max-min strokes; Rapid and acceleration tests from low to high speed; Extruder motor tests. Heat cycles for nozzels and bed plate.
Does a standard build test exist from BVC already to test build design at the factory?

Obvoiusly lots of people have lots of different issues and the forum is a good place to start. Should we have a FAQ page for problems that are known issues with proven fixes? Maybe the admin just need to create some folders and have a tidy up.

One thing that might help is a small tutorial on the functionality of using forum adding content photos, videos etc.

endeffect

Post by endeffect » 26 Sep 2015, 19:52

Hi

I agree too, BVC have say something about the first print manual, he going to do a better one.

i've many problem too, and i think i'm going to design some parts for upgrade this printer, but first, i do many try with different configuration to see what happen

replicator

Post by replicator » 27 Sep 2015, 02:05

I've had a lot of problems too, actually the printer has just failed now after 1 week. I posted this because I wanted to see if anyone was getting reasonable results and also because in addition to all the other problems and the bent z rod I think my flex couplings are also bent too and I can see the printing looks uneven.

HALFORD

Post by HALFORD » 27 Sep 2015, 14:55

Sorry you also having issues/teething problems.

May I suggest before designing any parts to improve we have a mini brainstorming session to A) Find the best solution to fix the problem permenantly. B) Involve BVC as they have extensive knowledge.

Maybe put some ideas forward for each resolve, i.e. The proposed fix for the Z axis endstop could benefit from the two designs being integrated together to achieve maximum rigidity/repeatability for the Z axis ref point.

Only through collaboration in the forum will we achieve maximum benefit. :D

EmanuelDFerreira

Post by EmanuelDFerreira » 27 Sep 2015, 18:21

Hi love Halford proposal and its the main idea of this forum.
This printer is in a organic state of development, with the bee team, hello team and the user all working togheter, lets just not forghet that this printer only exists for 2 month so theres some details to be worked on that will be solved as fast as possible.
For the tests sugestion, you are right, I'll start working on it as fast as I can, its not as simple as it seems because I got to be shure that only one variable is tested in each one. For now boaty is the official test you should use.
Please add as many sugestions as you can remember, I will read them closelly and study them to include in future updates of the manual and in the free addons if it is a redesign of some part.
Once more thanks for the sugestions and be shure that we always read carefully all what the users write and work in your sugestions.
Please keep posting any problem that you have here that we will try to solve them as soon as possible, we will add a thank you page in the manual with the names of all user that helped improving the printer, because this printer its from everybody and anyone who helps should see his work recognized.

Best regards
Emanuel D Ferreira

endeffect

Post by endeffect » 27 Sep 2015, 19:06

replicator wrote:I've had a lot of problems too, actually the printer has just failed now after 1 week. I posted this because I wanted to see if anyone was getting reasonable results and also because in addition to all the other problems and the bent z rod I think my flex couplings are also bent too and I can see the printing looks uneven.
So, this week-end, i've changed the z-screwed bar.... two times, with new ones, its easyly can be find because it's standard M5 one, after many tries and test, the Z-wobble continue to happen.. even with no bended Z-screws..

Because one problem arrive with others, filament now stuck randomly on my nozzle.. with the same plastic i've used before, lubrified or not.. i've clean the nozle, but happen and happen ..

A bug happened after many try to fix the problems, the end-stop z have not stopped Z-azix and broken my glass plate..

Sorry for my english, i'm verry disapointed.. even with all the efforts I have made , I have not managed to have a correct printing .. so i can understand you, i've received my printer 14 august and I still have not managed to have a correct printing :cry:

HALFORD

Post by HALFORD » 27 Sep 2015, 20:33

What if any tests exist already in BVC factory/shop?

replicator

Post by replicator » 28 Sep 2015, 00:03

endeffect wrote: So, this week-end, i've changed the z-screwed bar.... two times, with new ones, its easyly can be find because it's standard M5 one, after many tries and test, the Z-wobble continue to happen.. even with no bended Z-screws..

Because one problem arrive with others, filament now stuck randomly on my nozzle.. with the same plastic i've used before, lubrified or not.. i've clean the nozle, but happen and happen ..

A bug happened after many try to fix the problems, the end-stop z have not stopped Z-azix and broken my glass plate..

Sorry for my english, i'm verry disapointed.. even with all the efforts I have made , I have not managed to have a correct printing .. so i can understand you, i've received my printer 14 august and I still have not managed to have a correct printing :cry:
I'm sorry to hear it doesn't go well. I also feel frustrated too because so many hours were spent trying to get the hardware to work reliably but the more I try to use it the more problems seem to crop up. The RepRap Prusa has been around since 2010 and this particular version of it is quite an expensive one with the promise of good results so expectations were high. We naturally expect some issues but this feels more like a beta product where we are working as unpaid testers to help identify and rectify design defects.

After I saw your post on the irregularities I was interested to find out how good or bad my printer was which is why I started the thread. I took a photo of the last good print I did before the printer stopped working and it looks to have exactly the same sort of issues as yours did.

I wouldn't be surprised if another Prusa kit half the price could do as well or better.

replicator

Post by replicator » 28 Sep 2015, 00:09

HALFORD wrote:What if any tests exist already in BVC factory/shop?
Generally you would expect that a number of kits would be sent out to be built and assessed for problems. I would of expected most of the issues to have been picked up during that phase. I get the impression we are doing the testing.