Forum under maintenance. Please contact us at customer_service@beeverycreative.com

Problems with serial port interfacing (windows 10)

The versatility of an entry-level 3D printer, engineered to last.
By BEEVERYCREATIVE and Hello 3D Printing World
benigno
Problems with serial port interfacing (windows 10)

Post by benigno » 22 Jul 2016, 11:13

Hello,

I'm a newbie: that's my first printer. I built it last week and at the moment I'm quite happy, I mean: I expected lot of difficulties, my be not in building but in calibration stuff, but all was reasonably smooth instead... Anyhow, at the end I encountered a problem that I can't fix: I did all my calibration/prints/etc. using SD card. When I first time tried to connect the printer to my PC (a DELL running Windows10 and with only USB3 ports) and run "printrun" I encountered problems in connecting to the printer. Apparently the text sent back by the printer firmware was non understood by pronterface.exe... The COM port is seen correctly (apparently). At that point, to check, I tried to connect with Marlin via a Serial Terminal and, effectively, what the firmware sent back were exotic glyph strings... Settings where:
Bits per sec: 115200
data bits: 8
Parity: none
Stop bits: 1
Row control: none

I tried all kind of Bps available in Port Setting, results: different strings but all meaningless :(

Does someone encountered the same problem (and bypassed it) or do you have any suggestion?

I will be grateful for any help you can provide. Cheers, benigno

Hello3dprintingworld

Re: Problems with serial port interfacing (windows 10)

Post by Hello3dprintingworld » 22 Jul 2016, 14:07

When that happens it's the baudrate, it should be the same as set in the configuration.h. where are you changing that values?

benigno

Post by benigno » 23 Jul 2016, 08:03

Hi,
Well:
- First I tried on pronterface.exe settings
- After I attempted "Port Settings" under "Device Manager" (but this was 115200 at beginning, i.e. the correct one, according to manuals)
- Finally with serial terminal

Surfing on web, it seems that many people had (Win10) problems with serials, in particular using arduino sw or printers (normal 2D ones).
I'll try with my very old PC running XP to see if the "guilty" is on windows side... B.t.w. I didn't find solutions from sites where windows 10 problems were discussed: that's bad

Karmabim

Post by Karmabim » 23 Jul 2016, 14:39

I had a similar problem when I first tried to connect my 3D printer (a Max Micron Dual Head & Auto Levelling) and it's one thing that may be worth trying. I first plugged the USB lead into one socket on a USB hub and I couldn't get a reliable connection. I then plugged directly to one of the USB sockets on the PC, it has worked fine ever since. My second printer a Geeetech Delta also demonstrated the same simptoms and works fine plugged directly to one of the USB sockets. Both machines running versions of Marlin firmware.

benigno

Post by benigno » 25 Jul 2016, 12:04

Hello,
At the end it was really a problem from configure.h in the firmware, as suggested by Hello3dprintingworld. Looking at github sources (that I guess it the same installed on my quite new helloBEEprusa), I noticed that effectively the serial port speed was set to 250000 (quite a strange baud rate, isn't it?). So I had to download the firmware source, downgrade my arduino (quite bad, I must say...), set baudrate to 115200
and "upgrade" the printer firmware. Now it works correctly.

Hello3dprintingworld

Post by Hello3dprintingworld » 28 Jul 2016, 13:55

Did you try with the latest version of the hellobeeprusa firmware? Not the rc one.
250000 is better, at 115000 you can have connection fails and the print will stop. You then need to manually pause and resume the print.
Try to set in both sides the 250000 and if it works I recommend you to keep it

vinaymehta

Post by vinaymehta » 19 Jan 2017, 10:05

Hi,

Serial port interfacing bothered me as well. The only difference was that I was trying it on Windows 7.

fgarcia

Post by fgarcia » 05 May 2017, 17:28

Hi guys, my pc was formatted and I had Win 10 before and keep it after the format.
Before I was able to connect to the printer normally with no issues, now the "pronterface" does not even detect a usb port to connect... no matter wich baud rate...
anyone had this problem?
Thanks

MrDoom

Post by MrDoom » 08 May 2017, 10:18

Hello, I am using windows 10 and to get the serial working as expected I needed to install arduino IDE 1.06 as it has the usb serial driver, you can download it here

https://www.arduino.cc/download_handler ... indows.exe

Also don't forget to check you are selecting the right COM port.