helloBEEprusa metal bed upgrade?

General discussion, news and announcements
ozymandias87

helloBEEprusa metal bed upgrade?

Post by ozymandias87 » 17 Nov 2019, 21:19

I've been using an original Prusa i3 MK2.5 I borrowed from my brother for a while. Found a helloBEEprusa and a bunch of filament for a great deal on Facebook, so I'm dropping the hammer on that, 'cause I think I've got the hang of this.

But I'm wondering if there is some way to upgrade or change the glass sheet on the hBp for some kind of similar spring steel sheet or anything? I really like the textured surface that the i3 has, and the fact that I haven't had to cover it with tape or glue every time.

Or is it something where I should just wait and see if it's going to be fine?

DomingosRodrigues

Re: helloBEEprusa metal bed upgrade?

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 18 Nov 2019, 13:13

Hello ozymandias,

I think the easiest solution if you only want the stick and texture that the sheet provides is using a prusa PEI adhesive directly onto the glass of the hBp.
Another solution would be buying high temperature magnets, gluing them under the bed PCB uniformly, then buying a original prusa sheet and cutting it down to size, this would be the closest to the original one texture.

I would advise you against using chinese magnetized buildplates as they VERY easily demagnetize and start getting loose during print leading to very frustrating layer shifts.

Best regards
Domingos Rodrigues

ozymandias87

Post by ozymandias87 » 25 Nov 2019, 01:16

Thanks! I imagine stacking the steel on the glass would negatively affect the heat transfer, so I will probably follow the latter suggestion when I can.

DomingosRodrigues

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 27 Nov 2019, 12:19

Hello OzzyMandias,

altough the glass creates some resistance on the heat path it helps as the glass plane is much flatter than the bed's surface, thus enhancing adhesion when not using autoleveling. Also the insulation from the glass causes the bed temperature to be more consistent throughout the print bed.

Best regards
Domingos Rodrigues