First layer thickness with autolevel addon

The versatility of an entry-level 3D printer, engineered to last.
By BEEVERYCREATIVE and Hello 3D Printing World
ackbahr

First layer thickness with autolevel addon

Post by ackbahr » 19 Oct 2019, 13:16

Hello!
I have fitted my HelloBee Prusa with the now-not-so-new autolevel addon kit and it started working like a charm; but after a few months of use I now have a problem : the first layer is WAY thinner on the right side of the printing zone than on the left side, and of course correcting the height of the bed doesn't change a thing, as it DOES autolevel... :D
Any thought about this one?
Thanks all!

DomingosRodrigues

Re: First layer thickness with autolevel addon

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 19 Oct 2019, 14:14

Hello ackbahr,

The problem you are describing is most likely due to a misalignment in the structure or a loose calibration module. The auto bed leveling only measures the distance between the X axis a various point on the bed, if the structure is tilted, the measured position will be correct but the position at the nozzle is slightly skewed by the angle that the structure. This is a consequence of the probe not being exactly on the same XYZ as the print nozzle. Most of the cases tightening all the frame screw with some force and ensuring both the Y rods are correctly fixed in place by the printed parts can fix it.

Another simpler reason might just be that the auto-calibration module has loosened and the precision of the measurement isn't as good.

Also it can be that the extruder/auto-calibration cable is too stretched causing the auto-calibration module and or X carriage to slightly twist and by consequence the measurement it is incorrect on those positions. This would be consistent with what you described as the right side is the furthest away from the motherboard where the cables come from.

We are talking about a change of a tenth of a millimeter so even a slight structural skew or cable stress on the auto-calibration/X carriage can cause it :)

Best regards
Domingos Rodrigues