Forum under maintenance. Please contact us at customer_service@beeverycreative.com

[COMMUNITY] Print quality test

The versatility of an entry-level 3D printer, engineered to last.
By BEEVERYCREATIVE and Hello 3D Printing World
paulocaveboy
Re: Print quality test

Post by paulocaveboy » 02 Oct 2015, 18:16

smoreira wrote:
Hi Paul,

To better assess your situation we will have to make a skype with you.
A DIY Kit is completely different from a Up 3D printer. You have to tweak your helloBEEprinter printer for results.
Anyway, "Filipe " one of the main moderators here will PM you to make the skype call happen.

Cheers,

Sergio
yes they are two different printers and yes i fully understand "tweaking" the printer. The shear amount of constant "tweaks" to enable the most basic of prints is IMO unacceptable and unfit for purpose. Poor part quality and design is hard to overcome by "tweaking". the only way to get around alot of these issues are to redesign. The cost of a standard prusa i3 printer appears more robust and stable for half the price!

Filipe

Post by Filipe » 05 Oct 2015, 09:43

paulocaveboy wrote: yes they are two different printers and yes i fully understand "tweaking" the printer. The shear amount of constant "tweaks" to enable the most basic of prints is IMO unacceptable and unfit for purpose. Poor part quality and design is hard to overcome by "tweaking". the only way to get around alot of these issues are to redesign. The cost of a standard prusa i3 printer appears more robust and stable for half the price!
A proper conclusion to what problems you are having, can only be done after analyzing your assembly and the parts that may cause some problems. Possibly, some parts are defective or not up to par. But need to be analyzed to come to a conclusion.
Your patience is most appreciated.
A Skype with video is being scheduled via PM with you.

Best regards

kad3d

Post by kad3d » 11 Apr 2016, 08:19

Hey everybody.

I've built about 20 kits and this is my first HELLOBEEPRUSA. From looking at print quality in these forums I've noticed many users are getting these emphasized lines on the surface of their prints - I got them too.

From analysing the design and comparing it to other Prusa i3 models I'm 110% sure it is the z-axis wobble. What I mean by this is watch your coupler closely and move the z-axis using the LCD controls. If you've got an ok assembled printer the wobble will be small (but still noticable). If your prints are horrible you should be able to clearly see the coupler rotating awkwardly. This is what is contributing to the poor surface quality. This is combination with the thin z-threaded rod, the un-centered couplings and poor printed guides which allow these movements to take place.

I've tried to reduce it as much as possible by trying to centre the couplings as best I can but this gets tricky with only 2 centering screws to work with.

Attached is a photo of the after (left) and before (right). In my opinion the quality is still quite poor but its better than how it was before.

DNeves

Post by DNeves » 11 Apr 2016, 08:46

Hello Kad3d! Thanks for your post! It's always great to have some info shared! Although I have a few questions:

1) What version of the Z axis support did you used? BeeVeryCreative recently upgraded this parts.

2) From the picture you have shared it is noticeable an improvement in the print quality, although I have to say that those parts seemed to be printed with different slicing settings. Including the Layer height. It this true? If yes, I think that we shouldn't be comparing the parts for obvious reasons :) but good work!

Anyway, what did you do in order to center the threaded rods? :)

pedrodantas

Post by pedrodantas » 11 Apr 2016, 10:06

Hi Kcad3d,

I've the same problem, and for now is solved (better say minimized :) ) with this change. Please note that my beeprusa is from the first ones, so dont have any Bee upgrades in the Z axis.

I posted the files in http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1481769.

You can spot the difrence and what Marvin whas printed before and after.
The gcode file was the same (0.1mm, 25%infill, speed 25mm/s).

Regards,
Pedro Dantas

Filipe

Post by Filipe » 11 Apr 2016, 10:09

You can find the upgraded 3D parts here:
https://beeverycreative.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4

Check the serial of your helloBEEprusa, to know what version you have.

DNeves

Post by DNeves » 11 Apr 2016, 10:22

Excelent work PedroDantas. I'll definitely try it out! :D

MrDoom

Re: [COMMUNITY] Print quality test

Post by MrDoom » 27 Jun 2017, 10:22

Hello Kad3d!

I've assembled various helloBEEprusas myself including mine and that effect you see isn't caused by z wobble, although the rods are nothing to write home about because of the long brass nut that forces them to move quite uniformly they don't matter much, a easy way to prove that is if you exchange the stepper drivers on the printer for different ones those defects disappear. I have been using alegro 4988 at 16 microsteps, requires firmware alteration although customer support should help you with that, and the surface finish is significantly better than before, the most drastic difference was when I changed the extruder stepper driver, it appears the DRV8825 although at a higher microstepping is causing some noise visible on the extrusion, the lines aren't straight they appear lumpy thus causing the outside of the print to look nonuniform.