Forum under maintenance. Please contact us at customer_service@beeverycreative.com

Abrasive materials

This new DIY 3D printer kit is a result of a vast market research and hours of development and engineering. It is an open source project, which means this is a versatile product that you can build upon and make it your own.
FábioMartins
Abrasive materials

Post by FábioMartins » 14 Sep 2020, 23:14

Hi everyone!
I hope everyone is doing well.
Does anyone have experience with abrasive materials, using a hardened steel nozzle on the B2X300?
How do non-abrasive materials behave with hardened steel nozzles?

Greetings.
Fábio Martins

DomingosRodrigues

Re: Abrasive materials

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 15 Sep 2020, 10:33

Hello Fábio,

Everything is good here :D
We have tested some abrasive filaments with a stainless steel nozzle although we do not sell it (reasons below).

You will need to retweak the profiles to use a stainless steel nozzle as it has a much worst thermal conductivity leading to printing issues, I recommend using a 0.6mm nozzle to reduce clogging issues caused by the particles in abrasive filaments.

As for using a stainless steel on non abrasive materials it works but has some extrusion problems on 0.4 as it reduces the rate at which the plastic melts and also has more resistance to filament flow. Again you would need to reduce speeds and re-tweak the printing profile to get a good output.

If you require to print a abrasive material I would recommend only replacing one of the nozzles E2 for example so you can get the best of both worlds.

I would recommend keeping away from cheap nozzles for stainless steel as it is more finicky than brass nozzles. I suggest this nozzle by it's specs and brand, although I didn't actually tested this model in particular:
https://www.amazon.com/Resistant-MakerB ... 313&sr=8-6

Best regards
Domingos Rodrigues

FábioMartins

Post by FábioMartins » 15 Sep 2020, 20:10

Hi Domingos!
I hope everything is fine in Aveiro.
I miss that city.
Thanks for your reply.
What do you think about the brass version of Olsson Ruby?
Is it worth such a huge investment given the price of this nozzle?

Best regards.
Fábio Martins

DomingosRodrigues

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 16 Sep 2020, 10:39

Hello Fabio,

Everything is good here, thanks :)

I never tried the olson rubi nozzle but hear quite a few complains about it having extrusion issues due to the ruby insert transition with the brass. A good stainless steel like the one I suggested should work perfectly and be much much cheaper.

Also the ruby nozzles are quite prone to chipping and premature destruction due to being brittle.

Best regards
Domingos Rodrigues