Filament jams mid print

The versatility of an entry-level 3D printer, engineered to last.
By BEEVERYCREATIVE and Hello 3D Printing World
MrDoom

Re: Filament jams mid print

Post by MrDoom » 14 Dec 2017, 15:29

Hello Domino,

There should be no problem with the heater as the printer has a safety mechanism which stops all processes and resets once it detects it cant heat one of the elements, be it either the bed or a hotend, so if the printer is showing a temperature everything is allright, I know this as I once disconnected the heating element while printing and a error showed up.

That seems like a problem with your slicer settings, have you tried Slic3r prusa edition with presets that can be found here on the forum?

The problem with the compilation appears to be specific to Mac OS as in windows it worked flawlessly, perhaps try again with a different version such as 1.8.3, that might help :)

HALFORD

Post by HALFORD » 16 Dec 2017, 19:57

This is a common error on the "standard settings".
The best fix i found that made the biggest difference is the retract settings.
retract speed = 20mm/s
retract dist = 2mm

IF the distance is higher this causes the filament to keep "hammering" against the hotend causing the bulbus end to block the nozzle.
you can go as low as 1mm retract dist.

Happy Prints
HALFORD

MrDoom

Post by MrDoom » 19 Dec 2017, 13:17

Hello Halford,

Yes that and the stepper driver voltage solved my problems with the hBp when I was using cura.
Now with the latest firmware and Slic3r with the included profiles here on the forum I have been using 0.75mm retraction at 15mm/s with no stringing and no jamming :D

HALFORD

Post by HALFORD » 20 Dec 2017, 20:24

Mr Doom, this is very usefull information.
Do you have any problems with stringing at such a low retraction?
Regards Halford

MrDoom

Post by MrDoom » 21 Dec 2017, 12:42

I have not experienced any major stringing just some small whisks of filament that disappear once I give the part a quick pass with hot air (hair drier works well), this is with the filament from beeverycreative and Hatchbox PLA, I have not tried much more filament brands but on some lower quality brands I sometimes have to decrease the temperature or increase the retraction to 1-1.25mm but never more than that.