Printer not extruding after upgrading to A4988

The versatility of an entry-level 3D printer, engineered to last.
By BEEVERYCREATIVE and Hello 3D Printing World
LamaOlle

Printer not extruding after upgrading to A4988

Post by LamaOlle » 10 Jan 2019, 19:27

Hello from Finland!

I decided to upgrade my hBp stepper motor drivers to A4988, all 5.
Everything went really well, I managed to update the firmware and uncommented the right lines. But now my printer won't extrude at all.
If I select "change filament" after heating up I press the knob the extruder rotates quickly but after few seconds it stops and won't rotate again. I tried to extrude from Pronterface but it didn't work. I made the "M303 S200 C10" command successfully, (not sure if that supposed to help with my problem in the first place) but it didn't solve it. It heats up and starts printing but without filament.

Oh and i couldn't upgrade the firmware with arduino 1.6.8 so I tried 1.8.3 successfully.

So what am I missing here? :?:

DomingosRodrigues

Re: Printer not extruding after upgrading to A4988

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 14 Jan 2019, 11:09

Hello LamaOlle,

The problem you mentioned seem to be the printer using the A4988 you just installed as the original DRV8825, that makes the extruder rotate twice as much as it should and entering a shutdown.

Please ensure you have correctly configured the firmware to use the A4988, by uncommenting line 71 (// #define hBp_A4988all) of the configuration.h file, the process is very similar to the process used to activate the auto calibration shown here : https://beeverycreative.com/wp-content/ ... 180514.pdf

Ensure you do the reset failsafe option after flashing the firmware shown on the end on page 10 as it loads the new values from the new firmware you just flashed, otherwise the printer will still use the old setting.

Also ensure you motherboard cooling fans are correctly cooling the stepper drivers and if it's radiator is correctly glued to the top of the stepper driver module.

If possible also verify the voltage of the A4988 you installed using a multimeter (measuring between the potentiometer and the ground pin (-) of the motherboard , the voltage should be 1.2v+/- 0.05 if not, regulate it so it falls within those values :), here's the process for the DRV8825, the only difference being the orientation of the stepper driver :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-cvOU4eXU4

Best regards

LamaOlle

Post by LamaOlle » 15 Jan 2019, 18:16

Thanks for the reply DomingosRodrigues!

I did as you told, restored failsafe, stored memory and all that (I think that I did everything like that in the first time too :) ) so, ok, now the extruders are working. But the X axis is not moving! :D :?

I swapped the sticks between each other and that didn't help. Cooling is ok too.

So the stepsticks are ok. I checked the voltage, its ok. And the old DRV's are working fine, so its not in the board either. So it's a firmware problem I think. So what should I check next?

Thanks in advance! :)

DomingosRodrigues

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 17 Jan 2019, 10:52

Hello LamaOlle,

Glad to help :D
Have you tried connecting the X motor to one of the other axis outputs and moving it manually? That way you can verify if anything else has failed besides the stepper driver.

Best regards
Domingos Rodrigues

LamaOlle

Post by LamaOlle » 20 Jan 2019, 17:50

Hello!

I just tried to flash the firmware once again. Now when I first move the X axis +10mm it wont move, then -10mm it won't move but when I turn it back to +10mm it moves but nothing after that. And the movement isn't smooth like other axis. I swapped the stepper sticks again, but no effect just the X axis is defective and I swapped the old DRV's back and everything works like it should. So is it just some firmware bug or what?

Thank you!

DomingosRodrigues

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 21 Jan 2019, 11:14

Hello,

The problem is really uncommon, and doesn't appear to be on the firmware side as several customers used the same firmware with A4988 without any issues, please send a copy of the firmwares you used (Configured for A4988 and DRV8825) as well as a video showing the issue with the A4988 and the printer working with DRV8825 to customer_service@beeverycreative.com so we can analyse it further and come up with a solution for your problem.

Also have you tried connecting the Y motor to the X axis output, leaving each stepper driver in it's correct place to see if the problem then changes to the Y axis motor?

Best regards

LamaOlle

Post by LamaOlle » 21 Jan 2019, 18:52

Hello again!

Hmm. Yesterday I put the X motor to Y axis, it didn' work. But today I got another set of 5 A4988's from work and I swapped them in place and flashed the firmware again. Now every axis is working! :D

But, again :) but... Now the X axis keeps really loud sound (vibrating?) the first layer prints really good but when it hits the second layer and the infill, the sound starts and extrusion goes from good to bad, extruder start clicking. I adjusted the tension nut, it helps for a while.... I tuned the speed down, it helped a little to the sound and extrusion but I think it shouldn't work like that either.
Maybe I just have to set the voltage with a multimeter. Now I just set the screws likewise with eye.

I'll try to send my firmwares and videos later this week.

Thank you very much for your help and replies!

DomingosRodrigues

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 22 Jan 2019, 11:04

Hello,

Make sure the stepper drivers are adjuted with the multimeter, also take care as there are different version of the A4988 with different sense resistors that equate to different current ratings, the difference can be seen by reading the value on the resistors on the bottom, here are two examples that differ from the ones we recommend Image

The A4988 we sell have a resistor this resistor, with the writting R100 which means 100mOhm (usually bellow the heatsink)

All 3 of these versions will need different voltage settings to have the same current:
- Green resistor with 50mOhm - 0.60v
- White resistor with 68mOhm - 0.82v
- Black resistor with 100mOhm - 1.20V

If you used a different version than the one we sell it can have excessive current leading to issues as well as filament blockages and axis motion stopping!