Sort of kinda accidentally set my printer on fire.

The versatility of an entry-level 3D printer, engineered to last.
By BEEVERYCREATIVE and Hello 3D Printing World
DomingosRodrigues

Re: Sort of kinda accidentally set my printer on fire.

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 12 Nov 2018, 18:56

Hello rgjeppesen,

What parts have you replaced? I suspect the motherboard and the stepper drivers/fan, what about the LCD? there a big possibility that when the board got fried the lcd screen went the same route.

Have you measured the output from the power supply, is it a stable 24v?

Another real possibility is that you have reversed both the LCD cables either in order or in orientation, double check those. that would cause the non stopping beeping.

Also what firmware are you using right now? Be sure to use the latest version available here without any changes:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=719

After you try these please report back.

rgjeppesen

Post by rgjeppesen » 14 Nov 2018, 21:45

I have replaced the Motherboard, all stepper drivers, the Y-stepper (it froze), both cooling fans for the stepper drivers, the power supply, the lcd screen.

I have not measured the power supply output, but I can check that.

I thought maybe I had the cables reversed, but I double checked them and they looked right.

I think I downloaded the latest firmware, but I might not have.

Other things of note, I bought a MKS Gen V1.4 instead of the original V1.2 and I also got the A4988 drivers instead of the DV8825, though I do have a new set of those too.

Can someone give me a direct link to which firmware I would need? I am really bad with firmware and have almost zero experience.

DomingosRodrigues

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 15 Nov 2018, 13:30

Hello rgjeppesen,

the firmware you need is the one I linked on the previous post, you just need to edit the configuration.h file, and uncomment (Removing the "\\" before the line of text) the correct line for your stepper driver:

- Line 68 if you only use A4988 on the extruders (two bottom stepper drivers)

or

- Line 71 if you have all 5 A4988

Save the edited file, then follow the instruction on how to install the firmware (there is a pdf on the page I linked on the previous post)

Can you please share the links o the components you ordered, that is in case you did not order from Beeverycreative as there are some clones of the same LCD that helloBEEprusa uses, or even some version of MKS gen 1.4, have the connectors for the LCD reversed (the orientation notch in on the wrong side), causing the problem you mentioned, there is an easy fix but I need to be sure before I can try and help you. If possible post a photo of your board and LCD so I can verify the LCD output and input have the correct orientation.

rgjeppesen

Post by rgjeppesen » 16 Nov 2018, 03:06

Here is the screen I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FL ... UTF8&psc=1

The Mainboard:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0756 ... UTF8&psc=1

Stepper Drivers:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0166 ... UTF8&psc=1

I will try messing with the cables and then your recommendations for the firmware too, but I won't be able to mess with the printer until Sunday, stupid work...

tgala

Post by tgala » 16 Nov 2018, 11:39

As @DomingosRodrigues said previously, that looks like an LCD cable issue!
I don't know why they did it but I think the LCD connectors on the motherboard changed orientation from MKS GEN V1.2 to MKS GEN V1.4.
On one version, the pastic notch is torwards the inside of the motherboard, on the other version it points outwards.

Can you check that?

DomingosRodrigues

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 19 Nov 2018, 16:45

Just to clarify what Tgala said a little more here's a photo comparing the lcd plugs on mks gen 1.4 and 1.2,
as you can see you will need to cut the small notch on the cable like shown here
then connect it as if it was connected to a mks gen 1.2, with the notch you just cut facing the top of the board.

rgjeppesen

Post by rgjeppesen » 21 Nov 2018, 17:39

It looks like that was the main problem. I cut off those tabs and reconnected it, and that has solved most of my problems. The screen works, the X and Y axis seem to move right, the Z is a little wonky and I still trying to determine if the extruder steppers are moving right. But progress is being made

tgala

Post by tgala » 23 Nov 2018, 14:31

Nice! Let us know how it goes.