Sort of kinda accidentally set my printer on fire.

The versatility of an entry-level 3D printer, engineered to last.
By BEEVERYCREATIVE and Hello 3D Printing World
rgjeppesen

Sort of kinda accidentally set my printer on fire.

Post by rgjeppesen » 03 Oct 2018, 02:13

I was printing one morning and one of the heat sinks fell off of one of my axis controllers, it then overheated and caught on fire. :cry:

So now I need to repair it. I need to replace the 4-pin connectors to all 5 stepper motors, a 3-pin connect to the z-axis end stop, two cooling fans, the main board, and the power supply. Where can I find a parts list so that I can figure out where to buy the parts. I know they are all commercial off-the-shelf parts, but I don't know how to order them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My friend gave me a replacement main board, but it is a different type, and though I think I could get it to work eventually with some fiddling, I would prefer to return it to factory new.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mic_Hazelburn

Re: Sort of kinda accidentally set my printer on fire.

Post by Mic_Hazelburn » 03 Oct 2018, 06:48

Hey rgjeppesen,

Wow, that sounds not good! Could you take some pics for us so we can see the whole mess?

Thx!

tgala

Post by tgala » 03 Oct 2018, 11:40

Hi!
Wow, I hope no one got hurt!
Can you send some pictures so we can assess the damage?
As you said, most parts are can be bought off-the-shelf at eBay or AliExpress or at BEEVERYCREATIVE's online store (https://shop.beeverycreative.com/). Have you tried to contact costumer support? They should be able to provide you a quote.

Cheers!

rgjeppesen

Post by rgjeppesen » 03 Oct 2018, 22:29

I found the parts for the cable connectors on Amazon as well as the Power supply (which has a green light that will turn on, but no fans in it spin). Unfortunately, I don't know the exact specifications of the main board which is also shot. I have not yet contacted customer support, I am in the US so it is hard for me to reach them when they are open, which is why I am reaching out to the community. My friend gave me an MKS Sbase V1.x 32-bit Controller that I could use as my main board, but then I would have to replace the board with the screen and the control knob too, plus then figure out all of the firmware setup I would need to do, yes it would be an upgrade, but that is a lot of work too. I would rather replace the controller with a new copy of the old one because then I could also add the bed leveling gear that HelloBee released a few months ago.
Attachments
printerburn.jpg
printerburn.jpg (3.71 MiB) Viewed 820 times

tgala

Post by tgala » 08 Oct 2018, 10:47

Make sure the power supply is rated for 24V / 360W :) The power supply fans should only turn on when there is a significant load (when heating an extruder or the bed, for example).
As for the ramaining components:
- The cooling fans on the control board are standard 40x40x10mm 24VDC fans (you'll find models with varying intensity of flow but that shouldn't matter much).
- The control board is a MKS GEN V1.2 (V1.4 should also work).
- The motor drivers are Texas Instruments DV8825 (I think) but I strongly recommend you upgrade to Allegro's A4988, they print much more smoothly and don't over-heat as much (there is firmware available on BEEVERYCREATIVE's GitHub)
- I think the motor connectors are JST XH series (I can't recall exactly the part number).

The safest approach would be to try to replace every component that looks a little damaged (including cables).

As for the costumer support, they ususally are very open to solving the issues via email (costumer_service@beeverycreative.com). I would send them a link to this forum post to get the conversation started :)

MrDoom

Post by MrDoom » 08 Oct 2018, 15:18

Hello rgjeppesen,

It appears one of your Z axis stepper driver's heatsink got dislodged and caused a short, make sure all the others are well seated before using it.

I wouldn't recommend using a Sbase board, I have tried it and the result was nothing special, no significant print quality enhancement, 32bits is better suited for delta and core XY printers as they need the additional processing power, helloBEEprusa is cartesian so it has no real advantages unless you intent to use speed above 250mm/s (not recommended :D ), also it uses the same DRV8825 as the original helloBEEprusa and as tgala mentioned you would be better off changing using the same board(a new one of courseI) and attaching 5 Allegro A4988 as it reduces the printer noise,increases the print quality, and has less overheating issues.

rgjeppesen

Post by rgjeppesen » 09 Oct 2018, 04:20

Thank you for that information, it is exactly what I needed to know, I will order the parts tonight so that hopefully I can put it back together this weekend.

tgala

Post by tgala » 15 Oct 2018, 10:09

Hi @rgjeppesen, did you manage to repair your helloBEEprusa? Need some help?

Cheers!

rgjeppesen

Post by rgjeppesen » 26 Oct 2018, 21:59

I have replaced the main board and all of the axis/extruder controllers, put on new cable ends for the ones that burned, replaced one stepper motor which was frozen, and the fans for the main board, plus the power supply. Now I think I need to load firmware. Then we will see where we are at. Thank you everyone for the assistance on this project.

rgjeppesen

Post by rgjeppesen » 26 Oct 2018, 23:35

Okay, now I a befuddled again. I have replaced all of the damaged parts and I have loaded new firmware, but it is still doing the same thing it did before the firmware load. The green light [D3] comes on on the top left of the board and the speaker on the screen board repeatedly beads/chirps at me, non stop, about 1 chirp per second, otherwise no signs of life, any ideas?