[SOLVED] Jumping stepper motor wheels

The versatility of an entry-level 3D printer, engineered to last.
By BEEVERYCREATIVE and Hello 3D Printing World
Mic_Hazelburn

[SOLVED] Jumping stepper motor wheels

Post by Mic_Hazelburn » 11 May 2018, 07:49

I have a problem with the stepper motors of the extruders for a few weeks now.
It happens with some filaments that this "jumps" as if it were stuck. The filament is only partially conveyed. There is enough pressure, but something seems to prevent the flow, so that the stepping motor wheel always jumps back a little.

You can see this more if the printing is with little details as with big parts.

I increased the temperatures and reduced the speeds (60mm/s is normal for me) so that I had 45mm/s. The filament should be used up to 210°C, but yesterday it was tested at 230°C which shows an improvement. The pressure itself was much more fluid, but the wheel still jumped less often.

I also cleaned the nozzle beforehand, which didn't really do anything as it seems. Can I do anything else? Oh yes, to increase the pressure on the filament does not help, because I have the Beta version with tension spring - this brings a constant pressure.

MrDoom

Re: Jumping stepper motor wheels

Post by MrDoom » 12 May 2018, 00:08

Hello Mic,

I think you problem is caused by a stepper driver that has not enough current. From what I remember you installed Allegro on all axis right? If so depending on the version of the stepper driver you have the voltage adjustment ( the small potentiometer, to measure the voltage take the red top of the multimeter on the potentiometer, being very careful not to touch anything else!! And the black tip on the negative input of the motherboard, the cable that comes from the power supply) of 1.25 or 0.65.

Also you need to make sure you install the heatsink on the stepper drivers and also have the fans blowing on them

Mic_Hazelburn

Post by Mic_Hazelburn » 19 May 2018, 18:44

Yeah, the voltage was on 0.6V, now 1.0V and its better.

Thx again!

tgala

Post by tgala » 21 May 2018, 09:39

@Mic_Hazelburn, it looks like you got the issue figured out, I'm tagging this thread as "Solved".
It won't be locked, so anyone can comment if needed. :)

Cheers!