Vibrating lead screws

This new DIY 3D printer kit is a result of a vast market research and hours of development and engineering. It is an open source project, which means this is a versatile product that you can build upon and make it your own.
MaxPower

Vibrating lead screws

Post by MaxPower » 11 Dec 2019, 21:11

Hello,

I have the problem that the lead screws sometimes start vibrating when the Z Axis is near the bottom and turning. They have a bit of play in the trapezoidal nuts which I guess is intended. The lead screws and the linear rails are as parallel and as straight up as possible. Both sides of the Z Axis are at the same height and I lubricated everything. Is there something I am missing?

Max

DomingosRodrigues

Re: Vibrating lead screws

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 11 Dec 2019, 21:50

Hello Max,

The play on the trapezoidal but is by design so that it allows XY misalignment while keeping the Z axis motion smooth.

To avoid the lead screw vibration you need to lubricate the leadscrews abundantly, the easiest way is to use the home axis followed by move axis option on the lcd, and while the screws are rotating apply a significant (enough so that all the leadscrew's thread grooves have some grease) amount of the included lubricating grease, moving it between 300 and 10 while applying the grease.

At the end the threaded rods should no longer vibrate, as it is being cushioned by the grease, and the XY play still does it's intented purpose without allowing the leadscrew to vibrate when moving at faster speeds ,which aren't used during printing so it wouldn't affect the print output :)

Just to make sure everything is correctly installed ensure you have a gap (5mm) between the leadscrew and the motor shaft inside both the Z axis couplers otherwise the coupler will not be able to maintain a consistent movement on the Z axis.

Best regards
Domingos Rodrigues

MaxPower

Post by MaxPower » 11 Dec 2019, 22:21

Hello Domingos,

Thank you for your fast reply :)
Greasing the hell out of these lead screws worked like a charm. Compared to that the previous ammount I put on there was laughable. I guess I should be less greedy with grease.

Max

DomingosRodrigues

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 12 Dec 2019, 11:48

Hello Max,

Nice to know it helped :)
If you need any more assistance feel free to ask.

Best regards
Domingos Rodrigues

MaxPower

Post by MaxPower » 12 Dec 2019, 14:30

Hello Domingos,

I actually have another question. I am the guy you helped on monday via TeamViewer with the damaged temperature sensor. I now got the option of changing the hotend with the sensor in it myself or sending the whole preassembled thing to you to repair. I originally decided for the latter but now I'm pretty stoked about being able to print (with extruder 1) so I'm overthinking my decision (I guess this is possible since I have got no reply to my answer yet).
So my question is: How do you change the hotend? If I would know the process it would be easier for me to decide if this is something I am able to do myself.

Max

DomingosRodrigues

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 12 Dec 2019, 16:48

Hello Max,

The procedure is as follows:
1- Remove the extruder cabling from the black cable wrap exposing the inner wires
2- Carefully cut the white heatshrink near the extruder block that hold all cables together
3- Using a hex 2.5mm screwdriver untighten the two screws above the blower fan (they hold both the air chanel and the extruder block cooling fan)
4- Raise the blower fan exposing the two bottom screws of the fan/blower chanel
5- Move the now loose parts to the side exposing the extruder block and both hotends
6- Using a hex 1.5mm screwdriver untighten the small grub screw that holds the hotend2 in place (right side if you are facing the printer)
7- Carefully lower hotend 2 away from the cooling block
8- Loosen all E2 wires from the motherboard

Repeat in reverse order (except for the heat shrink that can be replaced with 2 zipties) to install the new hotend that would be sent.

If you do not feel comfortable with the procedure it would be better if you sent us the parts for repair, I know the frustration of not being able to print is quite strong :) but we would take care of it as fast as possible (usually 1 business day after arrival it should be sent back to you, the rest deppends a lot on the shipping delays)

Best regards
Domingos Rodrigues

MaxPower

Post by MaxPower » 12 Dec 2019, 16:59

Hello Domingos,

I think I can try this. The reason why I hesitated was that I have seen that the hotend has to be screwed out on other machines with which I was not comfortable. Since I don't know if you can relay the information I will also write another E-Mail.

Thank you for your help :)
Max

DomingosRodrigues

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 17 Dec 2019, 12:21

Hello Max,

It is better that you send an email to be able to activate the waranty.

Glad to help

Best Regards
Domingos Rodrigues