Forum under maintenance. Please contact us at customer_service@beeverycreative.com

[FIXED] X Stepper Driver NOK - EC51

This new DIY 3D printer kit is a result of a vast market research and hours of development and engineering. It is an open source project, which means this is a versatile product that you can build upon and make it your own.
appoli
Re: [FIXED] X Stepper Driver NOK - EC51

Post by appoli » 29 Jul 2020, 22:26

This is very interesting - it seems as though the firmware revisions that BVC made did not fully address the issue of stepper drivers being blown up within a few cm of extrusion. This has happened to me since I first tried using E2 and now with BMG extruders it happens every time on E1 and E2.

So far support has been of ZERO help. I had reiterated that this has happened multiple times with the original hardware and original firmware, but that seems to fall on deaf ears as all the responses I get either have already been tried by myself (and communicated to BVC) or are focused on the BMG settings...
This is getting absolutely ridiculous. Every time I need to solder the pins to a new stepper it takes quite a while (the printer is taking up all the space on my desk. I have paused assembling the enclosure until this is resolved - I would be unable to reprint the printed parts in a high temp filament & who knows if I will even end up keeping it so dimensions may change) - the soldering itself doesn't take too long, but shuffling things around, getting the equipment out, putting it back, setting the printer back up, etc. ends up taking quite a while. Plus the $15 cost of each stepper driver...
The last email I get from support was to reflash the fw and try adding "M92 E415" to the start command of the g-code file. Obviously this would result in the same exact outcome, but I had to do it anyway..

I have thought a bit about using some sort of PTFE lubricant. For the most part I use SuperLube lubricants (most of which have PTFE in them) & have some PTFE only lubricants as well. I thought about spraying some Kano Labs Silicrene (PTFE lubricant spray, but contains much more than SuperLube's drifilm) down the Bowden tubes. However, I was worried that over time the filament passing through the tube would rub it off (it seems as though the ptfe from those sprays comes off fairly easily?) and carry it down to the hotend.
For the time being I'm just using Kano Labs microil as it's an extremely light weight (highly refined) petroleum oil with no additives which is meant for small and high precision uses (eg assembling/cleaning pocket watches), figured this would be the safest bet for now, but it does dry out as you mentioned.
I might give SuperLube extra lightweight oil a try next (hard to determine if there is PTFE in that, but many sources say yes).

DomingosRodrigues

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 01 Sep 2020, 12:46

Hello Gni,

Are you talking about the drive gear on the extruder? Thanks for the information we will study that occurrence and try to lock it better on the next batches of the printer.

Best regards
Domingos Rodrigues

DomingosRodrigues

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 01 Sep 2020, 13:09

Hello Appoli,

First of all we are really sorry that you haven't received the support your require. I am here to try and help solve the issue.

The issue of the stepper drivers burning is a combination of both a defect on some units of the stepper drivers used, the TMC2130, the stepping mode stealthChop (that uses voltage control not current control like most stepping modes), the stepper motor that is used in the extruder and linear advance compensation.
If the stepper drivers were burnt in waranty condition, that is with the printer as comes in the kit and using the original firmware we will gladly replace the broken parts so you have a functional machine no need to buy your own parts.

As for using a BMG it is a good update but some changes need to be made on the stepper drivers configuration, changing it to spreadCycle mode otherwise it's reduction and added inertia can cause a problem on the steathChop control loop that leads to the stepper driver destruction.

The original steps/mm are tied to the serial number as the extrusion drive gear was improved with iteration, if you run the self test wizard it should reset the original value.
You can change the steps/mm very easily without editing the firmware itself using a serial terminal like YAT or simplify 3d using M92 E"steps" command, alternately you can add that line to the start gcode on the slicer then saving the data to the eeprom using a M500 command.

The head should not collide with the surface when traveling after the prime line, please ensure that your nozzle height is correctly adjusted and that both nozzles and Z structure are aligned. As for the filament clogs did you tune the print settings after changing to the BMG extruder? An important setting would be the linear advance and retraction values that needs to be significantly lowered on the new extruder otherwise you will get clogs quite frequently.

As for the capricorn bowden if correctly installed it should improve the retraction values and oozing of the machine but shouldn't be necessary for a consistent print. We did very few test with it and some filament had clogging issued due to its tighter internal diameter!

As for the firmware the issue with the stepper drivers, its occurrence has been tested on several version of the marlin firmware and we can safely assure you that our custom fork isn't in the source of the issue and we have made all the changes possible to to mitigate the issue and it still rarely occurs with some stepper drivers, usually in the first minutes of use, normally it's an isolated incident, I cannot exclude the possibility that your motherboard or extruder stepper motors might have a defect that causes such a consistent destruction of stepper drivers.
We are internally working on changing the extruder stepper drivers to another one that can mitigate the issues that are happening. Please understand that if your machine has been modified with non official parts we cannot take responsibility for any possible damage on the equipment since it was changed.

You mention that "M92 E415" would not work on the start gcode. It should work as expected and set the correct steps/mm during the printing session.

The PTFE lubricants can be used but should be avoided on hight temperature materials above 235ºC as the PTFE particles degrade and can cause lung irritation! We recommend using WD40 as it not only lubes the filament path enough as it protects the filament from some of the ambient moisture it is exposed after being driven.

If you want feel free to send me a DM about any specific doubts and I will help you the best I can.

Best regards
Domingos Rodrigues