Over extrusion?

This new DIY 3D printer kit is a result of a vast market research and hours of development and engineering. It is an open source project, which means this is a versatile product that you can build upon and make it your own.
raven

Over extrusion?

Post by raven » 05 Apr 2019, 09:22

Hi,

Although I’m not new to 3d printing, I’m a very recent user of B2x300.

Overall the experience has been great but there are a few things that aren’t solved. The pictures on the following links are from my second try to print de lcd cover. Some parts are great but the lower part of the overhangs is miserable. I’ve lowered the temperature and I can only imagine this is over extrusion. But if it’s over extrusion wouldn’t it be visible in other parts of the print?

Also, on some parts, I can hear the extruder clicking and, therefore, missing layers. It’s not visible but it happens. This print uses bee filament at 200ºC and it’s well lubricated.

What are your thoughts? Thank you for your help.
Best regards

DomingosRodrigues

Re: Over extrusion?

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 05 Apr 2019, 12:47

Hello raven,

There seems to be something is incorrectly configured on your B2X300, that kind of result isn't as expected.

First of all ensure you are using both the latest firmware and the latest printing profiles available here:
Firmware: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1595
Profiles: https://github.com/beeverycreative/B2X300-resources

Then ensure the blower fan is correctly rotating and that it is completely seated on the bottom of the cooling shroud. Also it should show 100% on the top right of the screen during the print of the overhang part. If not something might be wrong on your profile.

After all these, try doing a cold pull (there is a wizard for that on the printer's menu on "Maintenance">"Cold pull" to clean out any debris that might have entered the nozzle, as that can easily happen during assembly and the extrusion consistency will get worst resulting in problems like the ones you have, because of step loss on the extruder.

Last but not least ensure minimum layer time in cura is set to at least 10s, you can increase to 15s if the overhangs continue to have problems or if using a layer height of 0.3mm.

As for the extruder you can manually calibrate it but it should be calibrated within +/- 5% from factory and that shouldn't cause those problems.

Best regards

raven

Post by raven » 06 Apr 2019, 14:18

Hello,

Thank you for your help. I've tested everything and all is ok with the printer.

After some tests, I noticed that the overhang corners warped and that's why the results were so bad and the extruder clicked. Although the fans are working and correctly placed, the printed model, on the back, doesn't get enough air to cool the PLA. The cooler doesn't have enough flow on the back.

I printed the overhang with support and the results are good. I will now test another print with no supports but with a 180º rotation on the Z axis bringing the overhang to the front and see if that helps.

Best regards

DomingosRodrigues

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 10 Apr 2019, 18:20

Hello @raven,

Thanks to your information we discovered the problem was due to a defect on our original STL that had an excessive 65º overhang on the part you had problems while printing, those defects were not discovered because the default printing profile for PLA, the one we use for testing the printed parts, uses supports resulting in a good print.

Now we redesigned the part so that the support isn't necessary, we will update the STL in on github soon meanwhile you can download it here to test it if you like:
https://mega.nz/#!Ff5SkSYL!cp7EI-ZZj2Ix ... OlMKBjqY0w

Once again thanks for your feedback, as that allows us to improve the machine :)

Best regards

raven

Post by raven » 11 Apr 2019, 08:55

Hello,

Thank you for listening.

Although the cooling system is generally effective, I also believe that, when needed on the back of the printing model, is not as affective.

Rotating this print 90º on the z axis, bringing the overhangs to the front, resulted in a much better print.

Best regards

tgala

Post by tgala » 11 Apr 2019, 14:08

By the way, @raven: thanks to your feedback we updated the LCD cover so it prints better and is easier to assemble.

Check it out: https://github.com/beeverycreative/B2X3 ... /LCD_Cover

Cheers!