Tips on how to remove stuck PLA

This new DIY 3D printer kit is a result of a vast market research and hours of development and engineering. It is an open source project, which means this is a versatile product that you can build upon and make it your own.
MrBrokeSheet

Tips on how to remove stuck PLA

Post by MrBrokeSheet » 01 Jul 2019, 20:53

Actually I'm not here to give them but to ask for them!

I made a noob mistake and now my hot-end has PLA stuck on it. I can't extrude or unload.
I haven't tried a cold pull and I don't think it'll help on this case.

Situation: I had a clog before and decided to unscrew the nozzle to clear out the clog.
It worked and it started printing again.
The mistake was, when I screwed the nozzle back in.. I didn't have the hot-end heated up..
So, it wasn't completely tight and the PLA made the mess you see on this pic.

How would you guys proceed?

I break things. I fix things.

DomingosRodrigues

Re: Tips on how to remove stuck PLA

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 03 Jul 2019, 12:51

Hello MrBrokeSheet,

Please try heating the nozzle using the change filament option, select the extruder, then the material and dont select a operation, the hotend should heat up and stay at the temperature then you can clean the oozed plastic using some tissues or even a cloth rag, being very careful not to burn yourseld and not pull on the heater and temperature sensor cables on the block.

After clearing the plastic, hold the heater block with a plier and then using the included keys on the frame tighten the nozzle back on. Recalibrate the nozzle height and everything should work.

It is possible that the escaped plastic can affect the extrusion so a cold pull is recommended to clean any residue that might exits and compromise the extrusion.

Best regards
Domingos Rodrigues

MrBrokeSheet

Post by MrBrokeSheet » 03 Jul 2019, 13:24

Https://postimg.cc/tn7ssJcm

Thank you so much for the help, will try the cold pull as you said, also, is there a safe way/tutorial for me to disassemble the hot-end to remove the plastic as seen in the pic?
I think it'll cause trouble later on.

Thanks again!
I break things. I fix things.

DomingosRodrigues

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 03 Jul 2019, 13:58

Hello MrBrokeSheet,

I would not recommend completely disassembling the extruder assembly if not necessary as it will increase the chance that something is in an incorrect position.

The correct method of cleaning the oozed plastic is the one I described above. The plastic inside the heatzone will be melted so no need to clean it inside other than performing a cold pull throught the wizard on the LCD :)

Once the nozzle is correctly tightened the plastic will no longer ooze out

Best regards.

ratatui

Post by ratatui » 09 Jul 2019, 07:26

Yo limpié el extrusor que fue el último paso que me quedaba porque la impresora no imprimía bien, y me vino genial al imprimir mis impresiones 3d para hacer detalles de bodas de oro