Outer wall - Cura

This new DIY 3D printer kit is a result of a vast market research and hours of development and engineering. It is an open source project, which means this is a versatile product that you can build upon and make it your own.
raven

Outer wall - Cura

Post by raven » 16 Apr 2019, 09:40

Hello,
I was printing a model and the outer walls came out like the picture attached.

I reviewed the layers and the printer movement within cura and the marks on the outer wall were coincident with a printer movement change. I checked, as far as my knowledge goes (which isn't much :) ), and all the options on the profile to prevent this seem to be activated.

Do you have any ideas to solve this?

Thank you
Best regards

tjlqk3

Re: Outer wall - Cura

Post by tjlqk3 » 16 Apr 2019, 20:19

It looks like the retraction is not quite set right. What are your current settings for that and what material and temperature as well.

raven

Post by raven » 16 Apr 2019, 21:55

I'm using PLA (BVC) at 205ºC 4,5mm retraction distance, 40mm/s speed and 60mm/s prime speed, retraction minimum travel 0.55mm...and son on. I'm using B2X300 default profile for cura.

DomingosRodrigues

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 17 Apr 2019, 14:38

Hello raven,

that seems to be the seamline ( no pun intended :P ), aka where the printer moves from one layer to another, usually cura lines that up with a corner on the item making it almost invisible, is some geometries like this one it cant find a correct place so it is placed almost randomly, you can force it to be on a part of the model which it is less noticeable and align them.

Another thing that helps reducing the size of the seam is enabling combing, reducing the travel jerk to 4 and setting "outer wall wipe distance" to 1mm.

Best regards

raven

Post by raven » 20 Jun 2019, 08:54

Hello,

When printing walls with holes for screws I get some problems with the surrounding layers. This was always a problems but, with this print, it's very visible. Does anyone know the best way to correct this issue?

Thank you
Best regards

DomingosRodrigues

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 21 Jun 2019, 11:34

Hello raven,

There seems to be some extrusion problem on your print, as it appears the printer cant properly extrude on some parts of the wall and then overextrudes once it can. You can see there are also some problems on the hex hole for the nut, the lines do not appear to be uniform.

To solve this verify this items:
- Is your nozzle properly clean? Do a couple of cold pulls to clear any residue inside the nozzle using the wizard on the LCD on "Maintenance" > "Cold pull"
- Ensure the filament is correctly oiled
- Ensure you are using the latest printing profile for the printer
- Reduce the ammount of retraction to 2.5-3.5mm (deppending on the filament color/brand), the default value is slightly excessive to allow for errors on the assembly and various filament brands, but when possible it should be reduced to as low as possible without stringing to improve the printing consistency.
- Ensure you are using the latest firmware for the B2X300
- Double check if you Z axis isn't binding during movement as it can cause such problems as the head raises too little or too much upon the layer change.
- Ensure your extruder fans, both the blower and the heatsink cooler are clean from dust and are pushing air correctly.

Give me some feedback once you try this.

Best regards
Domingos Rodrigues

raven

Post by raven » 24 Jun 2019, 19:08

Hello

Thank you very much for your help.

It was a mix of over-extrusion and a clogged nozzle. When adjusting the flow and retraction, I set the retraction length a bit high and, possibly, caused the clogg. Nozzle replaced and quality prints are back.

Thank you.

DomingosRodrigues

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 26 Jun 2019, 12:03

Hi raven,

Glad to know :D
If anything else comes up don't hesitate asking

Best regards
Domingos Rodrigues