Repetier settings

This new DIY 3D printer kit is a result of a vast market research and hours of development and engineering. It is an open source project, which means this is a versatile product that you can build upon and make it your own.
jorgeguedes

Repetier settings

Post by jorgeguedes » 11 Apr 2019, 10:01

Hello guys,

Is anyone using Repetier for controlling the B2X300? Could you share the setup parameters?
I can of course attempt to configure it on my own, but nothing like hearing from the pros directly to make sure I don't under-optimize the printer by defining some inappropriate values or options.

I know most of you guys are using Cura, but I've always used Repetier since the HelloBee Prusa days and I have all my presets made, so I have no real desire to change platforms at least for now.

Thanks guys, happy printing!

Jorge Guedes

DomingosRodrigues

Re: Repetier settings

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 11 Apr 2019, 16:24

Hello Jorge,

If you really want to use Repetier and not create new profiles, you should use Cura to at least to generate the gcodes to send to the machine, as we provide preconfigured profiles to use on the B2X300 and those are optimized for the latest cura engine (Repetier uses a curaengine version from March 2015!!).

The printing profiles for the helloBEEprusa are VERY very different from the ones used on this printer, if that's what you meant by presets you will need to remake them based on the ones we provide but we can't guarantee good results.

Another thing you should know, using the printer through USB, if you do not place the gcode on the SDcard and only use repetier to monitor and start the print, will cause powerloss detection not to work and cause print quality reduction as the printer can't access the gcode at will. It will be dependent on running the lines the computer sends to it, that will cause small pauses that although imperceptible reduce the parts quality. The powerloss cant be done as powerloss uses the SDcard file and line to know how to resume and repetier does not support asking for a specific line o a specific gcode.

That being said, you can use the printer however you desire, just be conscious of the consequences :)
What kind of settings do you need? The slicer settings or connection settings?

Best regards

jorgeguedes

Post by jorgeguedes » 12 Apr 2019, 16:48

Hi Domingos,

Thanks for taking the time to explain in such detail.

I use Repetier to connect and control the printer via USB, so I was referring specifically to the connection settings.

Actually I have always used Slic3r as a slicing tool. As far as I'm aware, both Cura and Slic3r have their own advantages and drawbacks, I simply stumbled on Slic3r first when I started 3D printing and stuck with it ever since.
The presets I intended to keep were the slicing options, like optimised speed, temps, layers heights, etc. for all the materials and brands I used and for several purposes (fast prototyping, nice/smooth finish, etc.) that took me quite a long time to achieve.

But now I see that using Repetier to control the printer directly might not be a good idea.
I knew about the powerloss feature not being available (I was willing to take the risk, I remember only having one power outage in 3+ years of printing 8-)), but I actually didn't know about the loss in print quality.
I always assumed that given a well defined buffer in the connection settings the printer would never 'starve' for gcode lines.

All things considered, I think I might have to bite the bullet on this one and start printing via the SD card whenever I need the best print quality, at least to make some test prints and compare the outputs to see if I can tell the difference.
While I'm at it, I might try to start using Cura so I can easily absorb knowledge (aka presets) from you guys :ugeek:

So, it would be cool to connect to the printer via Repetier in the best possible way, so I can at least print fast stuff and make my comparisons.

Best regards

tjlqk3

Post by tjlqk3 » 16 Apr 2019, 20:23

No offense but you need to switch from Repetier! That is way old and not optimized at all. Cura/Prusa Slicer/S3D are all miles ahead of anything that Repetier can do.

DomingosRodrigues

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 17 Apr 2019, 14:41

Hello jorgeguedes,

you can still use repetier to send the gcodes to the machine and control it without having the profile.

As I said before the best option would be to copy our Cura profile to repetier to have the quality as good as possible.

Just another information, for bowden machines, like the B2X300, from our tests Cura is superior due to using combing that avoids leeking or oozing on printed parts due to the pressure contained on the bowden tube :)

Best regards

jorgeguedes

Post by jorgeguedes » 17 Apr 2019, 15:09

Thanks for the feedback.
It's decided, Cura it is then.

I'm not familiar with the printer/material profiles management in Cura, are they separate or are printer settings and material settings (temperatures, layer height, infill, etc) all stored within the same profile?
For example, when I import the supplied profile for the B2X300, am I importing printer AND material settings at once?
And for different materials, will I have to save a whole profile after editing temperatures for example?

Sorry if this doubts seem out of place, but I used to manage printer profiles and material profiles independently, so I'm trying to figure out if that's possible.

Best regards

DomingosRodrigues

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 17 Apr 2019, 17:17

Cura allow for both methods of usage, in our case we sent a profile with everything configured for the sake of simplicity, but if you want to modify the material keeping the settings intact, just create and/or choose the desired material and set the following settings to default (small fx symbol next to them):
- Default printing temperature
- Printing temperature
- Printing temperature initial layer
- Initial printing temperature
- Final printing temperature
- Build plate temperature
- Build plate temperature initial layer
- Flow
- Initial layer flow

Then press the arrow on the right of the profile and click " Update profile with current settings/overrides", this profile will from now on use the settings for your chosen material.

I personally make a profile with everything as most times I want to change several parameters between materials :)

Best regards

jorgeguedes

Post by jorgeguedes » 23 Apr 2019, 11:42

Thanks Domingos!

I have successfully printed some PETG parts with Cura via SD card and the quality came out amazing, just perfect on the first try.
So congratulations on this particular profile (B2X300_PTEG_PTEG_v1.2.curaprofile) 8-)

On the printer side of things, one thing I noticed is that the LCD freezes on the first seconds of printing - meaning it doesn't update temperatures, axis coordinates or time elapsed/remaining, etc.
But in the end, when it finishes printing the elapsed time is shown, so I think a hardware or assembly issue is excluded.
Is it an expected behaviour?
I have updated to the latest firmware (B2X300-20190313) from day one.

When printing with Repetier I didn't care about what the helloBEEprusa LCD was showing, since I had live information on the PC screen.
So I really don't know what is the B2X300 LCD supposed to show when printing.
Is there any way to connect the printer to Cura via USB to view print job information on the PC screen, even when printing from the SD card?
I really missed having this information, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards

DomingosRodrigues

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 23 Apr 2019, 14:24

Hello jorgeguedes,

That LCD issue is caused by the proximity of the LCD wires to the extruder and heater cables, the interference causes it to stop responding usually when the extruder starts moving, you can reduce this by moving the LCD wires as far away as you can from other cables and/or insulating them with aluminum tape or using ferrite beads on each end.

FYI we are working on a new firmware revision that should eliminate the issue by making the connection to the LCD more reliable and error tolerant. It should be out in about a week or so :)

Best regards
Domingos Rodrigues

jorgeguedes

Post by jorgeguedes » 23 Apr 2019, 16:00

Cool, I will try some ferrite chokes on each end in the meanwhile, and hopefully the firmware is released soon 8-)

Since you are being so helpful, I have two more questions for you :lol:

1. Adequate lubricant
I actually didn't have any problems extruding, but since the manual recommended lubricating the filament, I added a few drops of WD40 as per the user manual, that states
b. Soak the sponge with oil (WD40) and insert the filament.
It worked fine, but is WD40 the really the best recommendation? It's mainly a water displacer and solvent, it has very little oil and dries quickly.
Shouldn't we use something more 'oily' like machine oil or similar? What's your experience on this subject?

2. Printer calibration
I know there is a dual extrusion calibration process documented, but I am talking about the steps/mm calibration.
On the helloBEEprusa I performed a full mechanical calibration by moving all axis, one at a time, a predetermined amount then measuring the output - and the same for the extruders, by feeding a predetermined length of filament without passing through the hot end and then measuring the output. Then I inserted the calculated steps/mm on the firmware via the oncreen menu and saved.
With that I achieved perfect print fidelity in terms of measurements (for example printing a 10x10x10 cube would produce those exact measurements on the printed part) and had almost no need to adjust the extrusion multipliers due to no over or under extrusion.
Do you guys recommend that on the B2X300 or is the factory calibration good enough?

Thanks!