Thoughts on Smoothieboard

This new DIY 3D printer kit is a result of a vast market research and hours of development and engineering. It is an open source project, which means this is a versatile product that you can build upon and make it your own.
sn3k

Post by sn3k » 04 Apr 2019, 16:25

Any ideas about ever going to the smoothieboard or other 32 bit controller for the B2X300? I would gladly beta test. Just seems to me that such an advanced printer needs something with more headroom for motion control.

I have used klipper on a Raspberry Pi with other printers and had good results.

Thanks!

DomingosRodrigues

Re: Thoughts on Smoothieboard

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 05 Apr 2019, 13:06

Hello sn3k,

it is not out of the question, but still needs some work.
The main reason that a smoothieboard not being due to it's higher price and the fact that it does not allow the use of TMC2130 that make the B2X300 print as good as it does while being smooth and quiet.

As for other 32bit 3d printer boards, they don't provide a good relation between price and the improvement in quality/consistency for cartesian printer's like the B2X300, they increase the maximum print speed possible, but since the 8bit board with our custom optimized firmware allow the use for 200mm/s on XY without compromising movement quality, we decided to use that budget to improve on the stepper drivers instead resulting in a silent and precise printing experience :)

If you really want a 32 bit board I would recommend buying a DUET board and install it on your B2X300 as it has the TMC2660 resulting in similar silence and print quality as the original B2X300 board, but you will be loosing most of the LCD features and customizations.

Best regards

sn3k

Post by sn3k » 05 Apr 2019, 15:04

Thanks for such a detailed response. I understand why that's not a consideration right now. The default profile is 20/mms. Your comment about being able to go up to 200 was really surprising. If the B2X300 can go that fast, what limitations on speeds would you recommend for getting quality prints and going above the most recent default PLA profile?

(Also I noticed you have the fan on 100% for PETG, which simply doesn't work - I recommend iterating this down in the next release. I know there are some limitations on speed flexibility, but its simply too much and it causes layer adhesion problems.)

DomingosRodrigues

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 09 Apr 2019, 22:12

Hi sn3k,

What brand of PETG are you using? We made several tests with PETG and had no problems with the fan at 100% (it also reduces some stringing), perhaps your brand requires a higher printing temperature for a good adhesion. Nonetheless we re-study the subject and will take into account on the next iteration of the profiles :)

Just to clarify the default profile only uses 20mm/s on the outer shell to get a very consistent finish, the rest prints faster averaging at around 60mm/s.

As for the settings to try, as it is a DIY kit it will depend on the assembly of your specific B2X300 as any misalignment or loose part will reduce the print quality at high speeds, I personally had success with these:
Outer perimeters : 30mm/s
Inner perimeters: 60mm/s
Top surface: 20mm/s
Top/bottom: 100mm/s
Travel: 200mm/s (try a little lower first as this is the one that causes most problems if misaligned)
Initial layer: 30mm/s
Initial layer travel: 60 mm/s
skirt/brim: 40mm/s

If you experience step loss on any axis you can slightly increase the stepper motor current by changing the start gcode, the line that says

Code: Select all

M906 Xxx Yyy Zzz Eee 
xx is the X current in mA
yy is the Y current in mA
zz is the Z current in mA
ee is the E current in mA

Increase in increments of 50mA at a time untill you find a sufficient setting, only increase the steppers with step loss.
DO NOT exceed 1050mA on X Y Z or 1150mA on E as it can cause problems with cooling the stepper drivers and in extreme cases cause damage to them.

Best regards

BeJimmiesog

Post by BeJimmiesog » 03 Sep 2019, 12:07

I only have the 1 amp on the smoothieboard and nothing on the GLCD adapter. It works fine on mine, even with just USB power.

If you hook up the 5v connection, you dont need any regulators at all.