Filament Profile creation

Printing filament, accessories and spare parts
KingDWS

Filament Profile creation

Post by KingDWS » 05 Oct 2018, 22:06

I was wondering if anyone has gone through the process of creating a new filament profile for Beesoft?

I need to use PVA or specifically AquaSol from FormFutura (Holland?). I am looking through the config files buried under the main Beesoft files. I am just starting out trying to get a new file recognized so I can safely leave the rest alone. I have tried simply renaming the file but it has yet to show up. The temps and feed rates are pretty close to the stock PLA filaments so once I can get the basics like showing up lol it shouldn't be that bad to tweak.

I have gone through the calibration procedures on the reprap wiki for my other printers so I can eventually figure out the G code (I hope) but as usual am in a bit of a time crunch so am hoping someone has a few suggestions etc for getting a new filament to work. Unfortunately for me there isn't a available tested filament and by the time it showed on my doorstep it would cost about 4x what it started out from. I knew I was going to probably have to do this as soon as I got the printer but have been too busy to play with it.

So if you can help please do.

Thanks!

Dave
The thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on sanity is the friendship I share with my singing potatoes

tgala

Re: Filament Profile creation

Post by tgala » 08 Oct 2018, 10:31

Hi Dave!
The current BEESOFT 4 + Cura Engine aproach is based on over-rides to a default configuration file but I don't know which one :(

It might depend on the characteristics of the specific filament you are using but the TPU profile might work with PVA but that profile needs a 0.6mm nozzle but the BEETHEFIRST default is 0.4mm. The 0.6mm nozzle should be available for purchasing in BEEVERYCREATIVE's online store (https://shop.beeverycreative.com/).

My suggestion is to create a printing profile using the latest version of Cura and then import it to BEESOFT 4.
There is a guide on how to add a BEETHEFIRST printer to an old version of Cura here: https://beeverycreative.com/6-simple-st ... d-printer/
It might need some adaptations to get it working in the latest version of Cura. Once you're working on Cura, there is a predefined profile for PVA, it should work with minimal tweaking to the parameters.

Let me know how it goes!

By the way, I'm really curious about this: why do you want to print a soluble filament on a single-nozzle printer?

Cheers!

KingDWS

Post by KingDWS » 08 Oct 2018, 11:18

Thanks I will try that once my printer is fixed. Found out the hard way the print head and driver gear stepper is all held on by a few threads on one tiny #4 machine screw. I actually went through the stock profiles after trying to create a new one (it never got picked up by Beesoft) and found that the transparent and yellow profiles for pla were very close. I had to recalibrate the feed rate and get tbe table absolutly exactly level (feeler gauge) before it was starting to print pefect. Then on first print it was printing and making this rattle noise followed by the print head falling out of the frame onto the print bed. Was kinda annoyed more at it stopping printing than anything lol. Hopefully can find a slightly longer machine screw that actually uses more than the first 3 or 4 threads (cant be right screw) and try again tomorrow.

I am planning on using the pva as part of a low temp casting process along the line of lost wax or green sand cores.

Thanks

Dave
The thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on sanity is the friendship I share with my singing potatoes

tgala

Post by tgala » 19 Nov 2018, 15:48

Hi @KingDWS,
Have you managed to modify the profiles to print PVA?
How about your printer, you had some mechanical issues before, is it working OK now?

Cheers!

KingDWS

Post by KingDWS » 04 Jan 2019, 21:33

Sorry for the tardy reply.

I did come close to getting the PVA to work. Unfortunately between the printer acting up and having to finish the project I had to use alternate methods. I think with a slight adjustment of the feed rate it would have worked.

My printer is still DOA. I sent a thing in to support months ago and they asked for pictures which I sent but then they seem to have lost interest in fixing it. They had mentioned sending a new print head at first but who knows now. From what they said the head was never put together right when made. The screw used was a #4 instead of a #6 and no loctite was used and so on. So my print head was literally hanging by a few threads. At this point I don't know if the printer is anything more than junk without repairs to the one threaded hole that holds the head to the gantry. Lasted all of 6 months from new...

Dave