Filament stops flowing in the middle of printing

BEETHEFIRST is a professional, easy to use and portable 3D printer
JoseLuisMalaquias

Filament stops flowing in the middle of printing

Post by JoseLuisMalaquias » 29 May 2019, 16:14

I began today my first printing of a reasonably large part.
I did all the calibrations before I started.
However, the printing has failed twice after about 20 minutes of printing, since the filament stopped flowing, and the printing started happening in the air, as no plastic is flowing.
The first few layers went just great. But it kind of seems that the nozzle gets stuck after a few minutes, and no more plastic flows.
I am using 104 Yellow Plastic

Any hints?

DomingosRodrigues

Re: Filament stops flowing in the middle of printing

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 29 May 2019, 18:10

Post removed.
The data contained was incorrect.

JoseLuisMalaquias

Post by JoseLuisMalaquias » 29 May 2019, 18:37

Thank you for the quick reply.
However, I don't think we are talking about the same printer, as the photos you showed are not familiar. I am trying to use a Beethefirst (the one that is enclosed in a plastic box).
I see no oiler, not sponge or any of the accessories you mention
Once I opened the upper part, I saw an accessory where the filament is driven into the printing head. I can remove it and reinsert it, but that's it.

Can you please give some further instructions? Also, is there a link where I can download the manual? I am using this printer in a co-working environment, and nobody really knows how to operate the machine

Thanks,

Jose Luis

DomingosRodrigues

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 30 May 2019, 11:08

Hello JoseLuisMalaquias,

My bad somehow I read you had a B2X300 printer.

How old is the Beethefirst machine you are using? The most likely culprit is a clogged nozzle, it should be replaced after about 6-12 months of use, to ensure its longevity it should also be unclogged every week or so using a acupuncture 0.32mm needle we sell on out website in the maintenance kit, https://shop.beeverycreative.com/produc ... s/btf-bis/

Also ensure you have the latest Beesoft installed, a new version was released this week , and that you have run the extruder calibration procedure in beesoft. You can download it here :
https://beeverycreative.com/beesoft/

The manual and instructional videos for the Beethefirst can be found here:
https://beeverycreative.com/manuals-tutorials/

Best regards
Domingos Rodrigues

JoseLuisMalaquias

Post by JoseLuisMalaquias » 30 May 2019, 13:44

Hi,

The printer is brand new. This would have been the first time it would be used.
There is no clogging. If I unload the filament and then load it back again, I can start printing right away, and then it stops again after about 20 minutes of printing.
It is almost as if suddenly the filament dries in the nozzle and it can no longer flow out.
But if I remove the filament and put it back, there is no apparent clogging.

JoseLuisMalaquias

Post by JoseLuisMalaquias » 30 May 2019, 13:45

Also, I should add that I did calibrate the extruder and the table.

DomingosRodrigues

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 30 May 2019, 16:16

Hello JoseLuisMalaquias,

The clogging can be subtle and allow extrusion during the first minutes of printing eventually building up enough pressure to stop the extrusion.

But considering it is a new printer it is highly unlikely to be the reason.

I am now suspecting there is a cooling problem on the extruder, usually related to the extruder cooling fan, not the blower that cools the extruded plastic, please remove the top cover and verify this:
- If you printer is a BTF, no plus, check if the side fan on the extruder, the extruder cooling fan is rotating constantly even while not printing
- If your printer is a BTF+, check if the extruder cooling fan is enabled after arround 1minute of printing.

If they aren't rotating please contact customer_service@beeverycreative.com with a movie showing the fan not working, that way they will verify your printer's functionality through a teamviewer session and if necessary ask for the retrieval of the printer to solve the issue

Best regards
Domingos Rodrigues

JoseLuisMalaquias

Post by JoseLuisMalaquias » 31 May 2019, 14:23

You are correct. The fan of the extruder keeps trying to move, but it is stuck.
I will contact customer support.

JoseLuisMalaquias

Post by JoseLuisMalaquias » 31 May 2019, 14:26

Actually, I spoke too soon.
This is indeed a Beethefirst+. After one minute of printing, the fan started to roll. So, I guess this is still not it.
I started a new printing job, to see how long it lasts.

JoseLuisMalaquias

Post by JoseLuisMalaquias » 31 May 2019, 15:22

The filament stopped flowing once again. This time I was watching the printing, and it lasted much longer. Because I saw it stopped flowing, I paused the printing, asked to change the filament.
It was very hard to unload the filament. It seemed to be stuck. Eventually, I managed to pull it out. Then, I loaded it back. However, no waste plastic came out of the nozzle. So, I unloaded it again, and loaded it back again. This time, a very thin spaghetti came out. So, I allowed it to resume the printing, and now it is printing again.
But I still do not know what causes the problem
The extruder fan is always spinning.