Couple of issues I am having

The versatility of an entry-level 3D printer, engineered to last.
By BEEVERYCREATIVE and Hello 3D Printing World
rgjeppesen

Couple of issues I am having

Post by rgjeppesen » 15 Jul 2017, 14:33

I have had my printer about 3 months and I have been having tons of fun with it. But there are two issues that I can't figure out.

1) The first is that I am having a terrible time with both PVA (as a support material with PLA), and also PET-G. I can't get them to adhere were to blue tape, clean class, or glass with hairspray. I print war miniatures so the supports are critical for what I print, but I hate to have to chip them off, which is why I need the PVA. I know both of those filaments are hydroscopic so I dehydrate them for a few hours in my food dehydrator first, and I still cant get decent results.

2) For large prints I am having an issue with the Y-axis shifting on me mid print and ruining it. In one 8 hours print I did, it shifted 6 times in 23 mm of height. And each shift is generally 10-16 mm. This is preventing me from printing anything large.

Any help on either of these issues would be greatly appreciated.

MrDoom

Re: Couple of issues I am having

Post by MrDoom » 18 Jul 2017, 11:19

Hello,

Those materials can be a little tricky to print due to moisture in them, also be sure to try more than one supplier as some brands of filament work better than others.
Also make sure your motherboard fans are blowing on the stepper drivers and that there is little to no dust on either the fans and the motherboard. Also you can reduce the stepper driver's voltage to 0.85 with no problems and that helps to avoid stepper driver overheating which is what I suppose is making you Y loose steps. ( some more info here viewtopic.php?f=8&t=671 , ignore the values I mentioned then 0.85 works for every axis no problem)
Another thing to check is if you pulleys on the y axis are well tightened and that belt tension is good :)

rgjeppesen

Post by rgjeppesen » 21 Jul 2017, 18:29

I ended up switching my X and Y stop stop sensors and that has resolved the problem. I am still wondering if maybe the original Y-stop is going bad. Now I just keep using it until the next failure. Thanks for the advice.

MrDoom

Post by MrDoom » 24 Jul 2017, 15:23

It's weird that the endstop would cause that, please verify if your endstop switch has 3 pins coming out of it, it should only have two, as explained in the document here:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=110

Anyway nice to know it is working :)