Bed temperature too low

The versatility of an entry-level 3D printer, engineered to last.
By BEEVERYCREATIVE and Hello 3D Printing World
Frank33456

Bed temperature too low

Post by Frank33456 » 11 Apr 2017, 10:59

Hello,

currently i try to print some larger objects with PLA and experience warping and adhesion problems. Print temp is set to 210° and bed temp is set to 65° (shown in display)

So i check the temperatures of the bed per infrared while printing and get a temperature in the middle of the bed of 48° (after 30 minutes of printing).

My question is: Is this normal? If not, what can i do?

Thanks for any advice.

Best regards
Frank

MrDoom

Re: Bed temperature too low

Post by MrDoom » 11 Apr 2017, 11:08

Hello, yes the glass on top of the bed is very good to have a perfectly flat surface but causes a thermal difference of about -15 degrees from the temperature you set(the temperature of the bed itself) and the top of the glass. With that said 50ºC should be enough to get PLA to stick well if you print the first layer slowly and properly leveled, after cleaning the glass very well with isopropilic alcohol or window cleaner until it "squeaks", or just put a layer of painters tape on top of the glass.
If you want just set the temperature you want for the bed +15degrees and that should take care of the difference :)

Frank33456

Post by Frank33456 » 11 Apr 2017, 12:08

Hello,

thanks for your answer.

Ok, next time i try to set the temp to 70° and see what happen. Currently i used blue tape, but maybe the adhesion problem can be solved with BuildTak.

Best regards
Frank

MrDoom

Post by MrDoom » 11 Apr 2017, 12:16

I you are not getting good adhesion with blue tape I think you bed might not be leveled well enough, as I sometimes have it stick so well at you cant take the print without some tape stuck with it :P and that's with the bed set to 50ºC.
Try making a quarter to half a turn anti-clockwise (unscrewing) on the z screw so that the first layer apears squished.

GVeyron

Post by GVeyron » 12 Apr 2017, 09:16

For a better adhesion, at first level your bed using a piece of paper between the nozzle and bed. If that doesn't work, cover the bed with a thin layer of gluestick.
A very good solution against warping is reduce the printingspeed and print temperature. I print at 195-200C while using PLA.

Wim Adriaens

Post by Wim Adriaens » 14 Apr 2017, 20:38

I agree on that. Be very thoroughly on leveling the bed! Do the leveling at least about 5 times. Every step you'll get a little closer to perfectly level.
90% of my problems at first prints were due to an improper leveled bed.
The other 10% lack of experience :roll: I played a lot with the settings to get a decent result.
All my prints were sticking very good to the blue tape.

RickRick

Post by RickRick » 25 Apr 2017, 20:24

I took a lot of time setting the bed level mechanicaly setting both Z screws with a block to start then tweaking the bed screws and Z screws to get as close as i could then did the software level if i had to adjust with software a lot i went back to mechanical adjustment