[COMMUNITY] threaded rod to Lead screw mod.

The versatility of an entry-level 3D printer, engineered to last.
By BEEVERYCREATIVE and Hello 3D Printing World
grimmthesilent

[COMMUNITY] threaded rod to Lead screw mod.

Post by grimmthesilent » 10 Apr 2016, 13:33

Hi guys,

I am thinking of attempting this upgrade:

http://www.3ders.org/articles/20151127- ... -axis.html

anyone else who's thinking about this?

Btw I am also going to try and add a e3d v6 :D

HALFORD

Re: threaded rod to Lead screw mod.

Post by HALFORD » 10 Apr 2016, 20:35

What do you consider to be the main advantages?
Have you worked out the positioning accuracy of the existing rod compared to the cost of exchanging?

Paul Halford

grimmthesilent

Post by grimmthesilent » 10 Apr 2016, 22:54

Hi,

I feel that the 5mm threaded rods aren't really the best way of moving the z axis. There are several reasons in the post I linked to but I will shortly describe:

-5mm threaded rods get dirty fast and are difficult to clean due to the small distance between threads.

-They bend easily. 5mm ain't much and mine are clearly out of shape and have a wiggle. (not much but i don't like seeing a precision machine wiggling like that even though there is some compensation for this with the couplers) The lead screws look a lot stronger to me.

-I can't help but see that most of the more expensive printers use lead screws, not sure if this is coincidence but it does make me think they might be better.

-Lastly, I am curious :D I want to see what I can do to make my printer even better, I am getting good results but I like experimenting a bit.

DNeves

Post by DNeves » 11 Apr 2016, 08:10

Just a question, won't you lose some precision in the Z axis?

Keep us updated grimm with your work! :D

grimmthesilent

Post by grimmthesilent » 11 Apr 2016, 12:14

Hey,

Nope :) it should remain precise enough in this blogpost the person describes that even 0.05mm could be reached although I always print at either 0.1 or 0.2mm

this is the original post:

https://harariprojects.com/2015/11/18/3 ... w-upgrade/

I will keep you posted about my mods.

regards,

Rens

HALFORD

Post by HALFORD » 11 Apr 2016, 20:02

5mm rods will get you down to 0.020mm as in the current specs for HBP.
If you increase the pitch you loose the finer tolerance.
Paul Halford

grimmthesilent

Post by grimmthesilent » 11 Apr 2016, 22:50

True! Even though some people might print at 0.02 I never go lower than 0.1 since I think the time in relation to quality doesn't increase enough to go any lower.

Day:One

Post by Day:One » 20 Apr 2016, 18:00

One of the arguments for using a leadscrew was that these were made to tighter tolerances because they are meant te be used as positioning threads, not just for tightening things down.

I did modify the HBP some, by removing the top holder of the z-thread and also taking out the top holder in the x-axis assembly. I reprinted the models without the part where the hole for the thread is. Now it only rides on the flex coupling and the z axis nut. It removed all z-axis wobble I had.

DNeves

Post by DNeves » 21 Apr 2016, 09:00

Day:One wrote:One of the arguments for using a lead screw was that these were made to tighter tolerances because they are meant te be used as positioning threads, not just for tightening things down.

I did modify the HBP some, by removing the top holder of the z-thread and also taking out the top holder in the x-axis assembly. I reprinted the models without the part where the hole for the thread is. Now it only rides on the flex coupling and the z axis nut. It removed all z-axis wobble I had.
Can you share some pics ? I'm curious about this solution. :) I think I see what you've done there. Very clever indeed. Basically you left the Z guides completely responsible for the alignment of the Z axis.. as it should be.. But since the structure that is attached to the threaded rod it doesn't have any free tolerance and it will introduce printing defects due to wobble, for example.

grimmthesilent

Post by grimmthesilent » 02 May 2016, 16:28

Hi guys,

I had some time to start modelling the part for the update and wanted to share here :)

it still needs a z stop!