Thermal Runaway error

The versatility of an entry-level 3D printer, engineered to last.
By BEEVERYCREATIVE and Hello 3D Printing World
Sieo

Thermal Runaway error

Post by Sieo » 26 Jun 2018, 12:30

The last few weeks the printer would stop between 1 and 4 hours into the print showing the error message THERMAL RUNAWAY.

Any ideas what could be the issue?

It may be coincidence, but winter started a few weeks back, with temperatures dropping below 20 degrees C.
I did notice tonight when it was printing, that after 2 hours, it was showing a temperature of 189 degrees, when it should have been 205. When it started it did have a temperature of 205.

MrDoom

Re: Thermal Runaway error

Post by MrDoom » 26 Jun 2018, 15:36

Hello Sieo,

that kind of temperature should pose no problem when printing.
Make sure you have installed the latest firmware for the helloBEEprusa as the heating parameters were improved in one of the updates.´

If that doesn't work you will need to tune you PID (temperature control loop). I made a mini tutorial here viewtopic.php?f=8&t=719&p=2861&hilit=PID#p2861

Another possibility, which might be the case if either the temperature reading sometimes reads 0 or 999 suddenly o the temperature starts dropping a big ammount during printing relatively quickly but then quickly recovers after a few seconds, if so it meansbthat you have a bad connection on your heating cartridge or temperature probe and the printer is shuting down due to safety, if that is the case make sure all the cables are correctly tightened to the motherboard.

Sieo

Post by Sieo » 29 Jun 2018, 08:12

Thanks for the help.

I had the latest firmware. Have had problems with it loading/unloading filament, would get close to temperature, then go into a cycle cooling and heating but never reaching the required temperature.

Re-ran the PID tune, and it came up with different numbers. Checked the connections to the board, reseated some of them.
Didn't make any difference. Hours into the print it would stop with the same error.

I ended up swapping the sensor and heating element between the blocks which has fixed it. The printer is just over a year old, but never had much success dual printing, so the second extruder has been barely used.

So looks like a fault in the sensor or heating element. Visually I couldn't see any problems.

MrDoom

Post by MrDoom » 04 Jul 2018, 18:38

Hello Sieo,

most likely it broke due to the extruder moving back and forth while printing together with a loose cable, make sure the cables are all well stuck together after leaving the extruder, otherwise one of the cables might be taking most of the bending force instead of distributing it between them all.

Happy printing :D

Warnerhoalk

Thermal Runaway error

Post by Warnerhoalk » 13 Jan 2019, 09:49

so, my printer has started throwing thermal runaway errors and forcing a re-start, even though I havent changed any firmware or installed the sensor yet. is there an auto update feature that may have downloaded it? how can I fix this?
<a href="https://www.noriualaus.com/zojirushi-5-cup-rice-cooker/">https://www.noriualaus.com/</a>

DomingosRodrigues

Post by DomingosRodrigues » 14 Jan 2019, 11:14

Hello Warnerhoalk,

the printer only shows a thermal runaway error if either a sensor is reading incorrectly or if you are using a temperature the printer is being unable to achieve.

Check all your thermal sensor wires, bed, E0 and E1, and also verify if your heaters are corretly screwed on to the motherboard.

There is no Auto-update feature. But you should install the latest firmware as the last update makes the bed less sensitive to such errors especially on higher temperatures.

If possible describe the situation where the problem happened a little better, what material are you using, hotend temperature, bed temperature, etc...

Best regards
Domingos Rodrigues